At what age can a child stay home all day while parent is at work?

124»

Comments

• badmemory wrote: »
    I was told (about 30 years ago) by a policeman that legally the age is/was 18. When I said but you can be married at 16. He agreed, but said if something went wrong with an under 18 who was alone, it was possible that the parent could be held responsible.

Well if a 35-y-o was alone in a house and "something went wrong" the home owners could be held responsible if their action/inaction had led to the situation arising.

But always trust a policeman.
  • markoo
    markoo Posts: 6 Forumite
    would say that at 14 you can live your children alone at home
    I try and state simple facts in a nice way.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    For me it was when they started secondary school for a whole work day. Before that I would leave them when I went shopping, when they were nearing that age. The problem is the holiday clubs around our wY were for primary age only.

I would try to ensure they were alone for a day, then have a day off, alone for a day, go to a friends etc so they didn't have too many consecutive days alone.

How our life has changed, this year our 14 year old was at the holiday club for six full days as a volunteer helper (all part of her long term plan, she does rookie life guarding there, just over a year until she is 16 and does her proper life guarding course, then she will hopefully get paid work at the centre as they know her well)
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I concur that expectations of what children are capable of doing has changed over the years. I think a lot depends on what a parent has their children doing once they are out of the toddler stage. I for one can remember helping my mum to make the beds and thats apart from setting the table, clearing the table, washing & drying up. All part of a functioning home I suppose. To the OP get your child familiar with the needs of yours and his home, make him a vital and important part in how it functions. Does he wash up, cook (within his current ability), clean the bathroom etc. He'll thank you for it later.
  • i used to let my kids stay up late the night before work/school hols; they'd lie in until 1pm.
    had to tell them to stay quiet in case neighbours put their noses in. i was lucky as i'd be home by 3.30pm. they were aged less than 11 (10, 8,7), 2 boys and a girl, when they first stayed home alone.
    if all had been well for a few days, they'd get rewarded with a trip to poundland for 2 toys each...the good old days....now it's i-phones they want......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure