The 17 Year Goal ....

Options

Comments

• xyz123
    xyz123 Posts: 1,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All the best. Only thing I would say is to reconsider £250 a month split in 5 funds.. Ti understand need for diversified portfolio but there are many passive tracker funds or even active multi assent funds which do it in one fund...

Post on savings and investment forum if you want any more input.. Only reason I say this is because you may find a fund suitable with lower fees
  • Want2BeFree
    Options
    xyz123 - the fees are all sub 1%, so weather I have it in 5 funds or 1 fund it wouldn't matter as long as the weighted average of multiple funds is less than the single one.

Last night or two of cleaning the married quarter and moving boxes, thank goodness! Just cut the grass and tied up the garden and am thoroughly exhausted now and not looking forward to having to lift and shift the washing machine.
  • Want2BeFree
    Options
    Handed back the married quarter on Friday afternoon and a full week of long nights scrubbing out have paid off, we received £0 of fines! We are currently living out of boxes in the new house whilst we go round figuring out where we want to put everything and give this house a spring clean too. This afternoon, whist Mrs Want2BeFree has cleaned the whole kitchen (well done to her!) I have managed to list 22 items on eBay, mostly things of ours we no longer require as well as a few items that were left by the previous owner of our house; all to finish next Sunday afternoon/early evening.

The first mortgage payment of £1012.15 goes out tomorrow (9th), and on the following day (10th) I have have arranged for the first of my monthly budgeted/planed over payments of £237.85 to be paid for a total of £1250 to be paid towards the mortgage: this is the planned payment I will be making every month for the next 5 years, then extras when I can. Having reviewed this months budget I believe we will have a spare £1500 at the end, so I plan to split it in to three equally: £500 as an additional over payment to the mortgage, £500 into my S&S ISA, and £500 towards the house renovation cash savings.

Getting our head around the house now we will need to replace the windows in the next 2 years or so, we also want to add a dormer to the bedroom above the garage to make the most of the views so its probably best to do that at the same time so all the windows match... thus the renovation cash fund needs to grow. We wont do any of the work till the summer as I don't fancy taking a roof off and all the windows out during a Scottish winter; so this gives us time to grow our cash savings.

Has anyone had a flat roof dormer added before? What is the ball-park figure to do it? Also is ~£10K a healthy budget for getting 8 uPVC double glassed windows, a back and front door?
  • Want2BeFree
    Options
    £500 transfered to the mortgage. We have had the mortgage for 22 days and over paid £1037.85, not to bad I don't think.

Nationwide are due to give me £500 'cashback' of my mortgage fee at some point soon, so when we get that it will go 50/50 to my S&SISA and the mortgage (another £250 OP).

The new house is starting to come together, giving it all a good clean and attempting to unpack at least one box per day...
  • BVic28
    BVic28 Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That’s an amazing OP in such a short space of time!
    Mortgage balance as of end of Dec 19 - £120,675
    MFW 2020 challenge #35 £94.62/£750; Jan running total - £94.62
    Save 12k in 2020 challenge #34 £560.20/£6000; Jan running total - £560.20
  • Want2BeFree
    Options
    3 of the 21 eBay items have sold, netting £27.19 subtracting eBay selling fees of £2.12 and postage of £8.70 gives a profit of £!16.37‬ ; not a fantastic result, but better than nothing for stuff I would of otherwise put in the bin. The three items are all packaged up now, and I will take them to the post office tomorrow afternoon. The other 18 items have auto relisted, so we will just wait and see.

I also had a fridge that is now excess to our requirements on F'book market place, it was provisionally sold awaiting collection tonight however the buyer has failed to show up, and now blocked me on Facebook! What a pain! I wouldn't of minded if she just messaged to say she wasn't interested anymore, rather than to be so rude.

Getting there with the unpacking now; need to put up the Christmas Dec's this week (better late than never).
  • Want2BeFree
    Options
    Recieved the £500 cashback for the mortgage fee today. Transferred £250 to the mortgage. Had the mortgage 28 days, overpaid £1287.15
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Congratulations on the new home and diary! You are already doing so well!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Want2BeFree
    Want2BeFree Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2020 at 5:26PM
    Options
    Payday has been and gone. I've made the self mandated over payment of £237.85 today so when the normal mandatory payment gets paid on the 9th that will be £1250 towards the mortgage this month. When I have an opportunity next week to review the monthly budget I can hopefully find a few more ££s to overpay into the mortgage this month.
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    You are being very focused! Keep up the good work :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills