IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MET Parking Services ticket for overstaying POPLA stage

Options
Hi,
I received a parking ticket from MET Parking at my local leisure centre. there is a free parking period of 150 minutes, and they sent me a ticket for overstaying by 17 minutes. I use the centre for swimming lessons for my children, and use the library and children's activities. I used the appeal blue template and explained the above without naming the driver.

They also have a tablet at reception where you can enter your your reg to stay longer, but as it doesn't work most of the time, I didn't enter my reg. They of course rejected my appeal and claimed they have enough signage, that I overstayed, and that the tablet was working.

Before appealing I tried to reason with the leisure centre contracts manager, but he first referred me back to them, and then he said he couldn't do anything.

Now I have a POPLA number, but not sure how to appeal this on what grounds. I read through and searched for similar cases, but still couldn't find a defence that I can use for a POPLA appeal. Can anybody help ?

Thank you so much in advance.

Comments

• Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    plenty of popla appeals on here this year about overstays

use the search words GRACE PERIODS POPLA

appeal grounds are

GRACE PERIODS (clause 13 of the BPA CoP0
    NO LANDOWNER AUTHORITY
    POOR AND INADEQUATE SIGNAGE
    BPA CoP failures
    POFA failures
    ANPR timing problems
  • Sam007
    Sam007 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for this. Does it matter which parking company the appeal is referring to? or can I use any? I think the signage is difficult to dispute, and my main defence really is the fact that I was genuinely using the facility as a paying member. Also my son got lost in the leisure centre and I had to look around to find him, and finally that the machine used to register the reg numbers hardly works. They of course claim it was working on that day.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    use any that are suitable but adapt it to the facts , like the parking company name and location etc, you are using them as an example to write your own appeal

I would copy and paste a suitable one , then go through it word for word and change the details to fit your own case and company

signage is never difficult to dispute , the vast majority of signs are worful , everybody is told to include signage , you are making the claimant prove their case and signage is what forms the contract (and lack of negates any contract)

faulty machines are frustration of contract so make them prove it to popla

dont do their job for them , query everything you can , if you dont ask , you dont get, so make them prove every point , because one failure on any point and you win
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport