PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food shopping for one

Options
124»

Comments

• pattypan4
    pattypan4 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 16 October 2019 at 10:24AM
    Options
    My large upright frost-free freezer is my cornerstone and has a well deserved space in the small dining area. My organic meat order came today and as always I had to divide and sub-divide, used the vac bags and all is fast freezing, will feed me for 6 months. The nearest I get to meal planning is to take a pound of mutton out, casserole slowly and freeze in ready meal portions for one. All I need do then is cook fresh veg and voila, a good tasty meal. I ordered some pork steaks and have had to cut each one in half, luckily had small vac bags in, will use them up but not re-order that mini size again. The faggots are big, yum and all the meat is lean enough

The best size vac bags for me are 20 x 20 cm and 20 x 30. I still have over 90 odf 20 x 30 but have ordered more 20 x 20. The ones I still have are at least 8 years old. I used to use rolls but they are a faff. I wipe around my vac sealer with a disinfecting wipe
    https://www.fresherpack.co.uk/sections/2/vacuum_sealer_bags/

Next order is already ordered, I don`t eat chicken, only turkey and organic is limited availability when fresh. Boned turkey breasts are ordered for november, a bit more work with these because I portion for small single use

As you can see, I only eat simple foods these days. I might make some small crumbles later, again to freeze. I have stored apples and frozen blackcurrants and frozen crumble mix. Will cook and then freeze
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Fusspot ,no I prefer to go and get my stuff myself Have never done an online shop ever ,but I live in an area of Kent where it's not too far to go to find almost all the big supermarkets.
    I have always done a menu plan ,even when I had my two Dds and husband at home to feed.Back then it was a necessity as I also worked full time on different shifts ,so I always had to be organised.
    Now widowed, and children grown up with families of their own I have got so used to doing it ,it's become second nature I think :)

I still enjoy cooking though and batch cook as much as I can when possible as I do lead quite a busy life with various hobbies and friends that I go to see and some are housebound so I like to take a treat with me of a cake or some scones for them .I also have a tribe of often ravenous grandchildren who are like locusts and I swear can tell by sniffing the wind if Granny has been baking :)

JackieO x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport