PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food shopping for one

Options
I am struggling at the moment with keeping organised with food shopping.

I tend to buy the heavier stuff online and get it delivered to my door and then just buy fresh food in between but I am very disorganised with this. For example tonight I thought I'd have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for tea so I bought some smoked salmon, got home and realised I'd run out of eggs so I just had smoked salmon on its own.

A friend of mine who also lives on her own finds it better to go to the supermarket herself for all her food and get a taxi home, which is what I used to do years ago before online shopping but it still means having to carry the shopping into the flat (and in my case carry it up two flights of stairs), whereas online deliveries come straight to the door.

I don't care for buying fresh food online though so I often end up bitting and batting with this in the week and calling in either M&S or a Sainsburys Express store after work and find I am lugging it home then.

Anyone else on their own and how do you manage your shopping if you haven't got a car (like me).

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I live with hubby but we found the best way of reducing food waste is to make a meal plan.

Whilst it sounds regimented it's not as meals can be changed around. Also it means that the fresh food shop (I know what you mean about buying fresh food on line) can be done in one go at a more competitively priced shop lol.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) I live alone in a flat and the supermarkets available to me are Metro type passed on way walking to and fro work or a Liddly a mile away which I pass anything from 1-3 times a week. For the latter trips, I have a pushbike.

As a person without a car, I feel I can't be in the same once-a-week-shopping mode as a car owner. I shop every 2-3 days as I mainly live on fresh stuff which is relatively bulky but not incredibly heavy. Heavier stuff like cans and jars is added from time to time, such as a couple of items per trip. This spreads the weight.

I don't specifically go out of my way to 'go shopping, I just have a mental list of things and shop opportunistically. This saves me time, it also helps that I eat a fairly small range of things and know what I intend to eat, to within a few variations, anyway.

Bulky-but-light items like big packs of TP have to be managed also, as they fill a bike basket.

I've never shopped online for groceries and find it hard to imagine that I ever would, although I do know of a disabled lady who has a once-a-month delivery of heavy and/ or bulky storecupboard items and tops up with small amounts of fresh stuff as and when required.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I keep variety to a minimum, so I am repeat eating things. I don't choose what I am eating, I look at what I've got and eat something to use things up or get through what I've got.

I accept that many times I am "out of something" as I don't just buy things to replace what I'm out of, but wait until I'm out of several things and then go to get 3-4 items.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I lived alone, I used to do one bulk online shop every month or two - the larger stuff

For the price of a taxi fare, you can so reduce the stress, and cut out going to m&s or sainsbobs as they are very dear

Nowadays my adult little un lives alone and has no car, but I take them shopping once a month to the local Morrisons (their choice of shop) - have you a friend who might take you sometimes?

Other than that, id go onliine all the way
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think lists are the way to go!:D

What you've described isn't specifically about shopping for one person or not having a car. It would have been just the same if you were planning scrambled eggs for a family and had forgotten to buy any.;)

I agree that without transport regular shopping when you're out and about is best to keep the weight down but you need a list and will power to only buy what's on your list. It's too easy to overspend if you're in shops frequently. I have a meal plan but it's only for 7 dinners (fewer if I'm eating out) and then I buy ingredients so I can choose/vary my breakfasts and lunches. I always include at least one meal from the freezer as that can be rolled over to another week if plans change. When you make your meal plan/list 'shop' from the fridge and cupboards first to make sure you're using up all the fresh ingredients you have in before you buy any more.
  • Dannii75
    Dannii75 Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree that a meal plan is the best thing to do. Make a 2 week plan to not get bored then order the food online - that stops me from picking up the unnecessary extras! :)
    Another thing I've done is ordered a Gousto box, it's just been delivered today. £30 introductory offer which has worked out as 8 meals for 2 people - so that's yummy lunches sorted too! Then, if you like the dishes you can use the recipes & lists in future! a great help for me!
  • Blue_Doggy
    Options
    Another vote here for a meal plan. I plan a week at a time, not in total detail, but usually enough that I know what I’d combine with what.

From the meal plan I make a shopping list, and include all the regular stuff like milk, butter, eggs, etc. I also have a line for “5 impulse buys”, which lets me take advantage of a bargain, try something new, or buy something I forgot to list. The “5” is a maximum, so I don’t blow the budget entirely but do have bit of flexibility.

That’s for shopping weekly with a car but without one I’d still make a meal plan and shopping list and order online. I’d then, either from the same list or a new one, top up on the things I prefer to choose myself and put the “impulse buys” in there.
    “Tomorrow is another day for decluttering.”
    Decluttering 2023 🏅🏅🏅🏅⭐️⭐️
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,618 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 7 October 2019 at 12:56PM
    Options
    I do similar, once a month online shop to fill the cupboards and freezer, then 2-3 top ups per week of fresh food, mainly fruit and veg.

Having a big freezer helps as lots can be stored. Bread/rolls, I grate blocks of cheese, portion out a large pack of sandwich meat, 2 sausages or bacon slices per bag etc and freeze.

TBH it sounds like your method is good, you just need to meal plan and do a quick inventory before shopping.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    definitely meal plan I do mine every Sunday morning before prepping my veg for the week (it goes into water in the fridge ,potatoes,carrots etc) True I do own and run a car ,but I only shop around every 8-10 days So far this month I went on the 1st of the month and bought fruit and veg which is about a third of my budget, plus a few odds and ends,total cost £13.95 .

I have a list in the kitchen and as I run short of things I list them down for my next trip which will be this friday .So far I need bananas,potatoes, lettuce,a pepper, cucumber,mushrooms,eggs, some loo rolls and that's about all for the moment ,nothing I can't do without until Friday though. I expect to spend between £12-14 then I am eating from my freezer/cupboards this month which helps as I don't have to buy so much in
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Due to health reasons I rely on online shopping, I live on my own but try to space my shops so I can meet the minimum basket charge and avoid paying a surcharge. I buy an annual pass that works out at £6 per month as that is best value for me but for sporadic shops to stock up on heavier stuff you can get slots for a couple of £s if you don't mind later in the day. It works well for me and even opting for pricier slots it would work out that less than the taxi I would need there and back. However, it doesn't solve the forgetting/running out of stuff which as others have said isn't a solo living issue, planning is definitely the key here and I add stuff to my list that I know I use a lot as I run low in it so I don't forgot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure