We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Scottish Power Default
SpiderDan
Posts: 7 Forumite
Hello all,
I'm hoping I can get a little bit of advice here please. A quick overview of the situation is below:
I moved into a new rented property in March this year. Both Gas and Electricity were supplied by Scottish Power. We wanted to move to Bulb so did the switch, the final switch happened mid April.
We received a final bill from Scottish Power, there wasn't any issues with the electric side but we had issues on the Gas side. They wanted a lot more than we expected (Property was mainly empty for most of the period as we still had access to previous letting as was there most of the time). They had based their reading on an estimate and not an actual reading.
I got in touch with Scottish power and paid the electricity final bill and disputed the gas. They kept on rejecting my actual readings. I got in touch with bulb who said they would sort this out for me (they were great) after a week or two they told me that they have sorted it and SP would be in touch with a new final bill.
A new bill appeared except it was the same as the original one, I was told by SP that it was rejecting my readings because the previous readings received (in December) were much higher than the ones I was providing. I explained that I was a new tenant and i offered photos of the meter.
I sent a photograph of the final reading I took mid April (changeover date) along with a long email explaining the situation to the complaints department.
I eventually received a response saying they would accept my new readings but would require two more readings so they could pro-rata a estimate which I thought was fair.
I tried for ages to provide the two readings and the agents were just not understanding the situation and kept on saying that the readings don't match up with readings from last year! I tried re-explaining the situation and was getting no where, they then said they would raise a dispute.
I received a letter on Friday stating they have filed a default... I've still had no response, every time i try to chase it I go around in circles.
Is it possible for me to get this default removed? Where should I go from here?
Thanks in advance!
I'm hoping I can get a little bit of advice here please. A quick overview of the situation is below:
I moved into a new rented property in March this year. Both Gas and Electricity were supplied by Scottish Power. We wanted to move to Bulb so did the switch, the final switch happened mid April.
We received a final bill from Scottish Power, there wasn't any issues with the electric side but we had issues on the Gas side. They wanted a lot more than we expected (Property was mainly empty for most of the period as we still had access to previous letting as was there most of the time). They had based their reading on an estimate and not an actual reading.
I got in touch with Scottish power and paid the electricity final bill and disputed the gas. They kept on rejecting my actual readings. I got in touch with bulb who said they would sort this out for me (they were great) after a week or two they told me that they have sorted it and SP would be in touch with a new final bill.
A new bill appeared except it was the same as the original one, I was told by SP that it was rejecting my readings because the previous readings received (in December) were much higher than the ones I was providing. I explained that I was a new tenant and i offered photos of the meter.
I sent a photograph of the final reading I took mid April (changeover date) along with a long email explaining the situation to the complaints department.
I eventually received a response saying they would accept my new readings but would require two more readings so they could pro-rata a estimate which I thought was fair.
I tried for ages to provide the two readings and the agents were just not understanding the situation and kept on saying that the readings don't match up with readings from last year! I tried re-explaining the situation and was getting no where, they then said they would raise a dispute.
I received a letter on Friday stating they have filed a default... I've still had no response, every time i try to chase it I go around in circles.
Is it possible for me to get this default removed? Where should I go from here?
Thanks in advance!
0
Comments
-
Have you paid the final bill yet?0
-
I haven't been given a proper final bill yet... I'm still waiting to receive it.
The original final bill they sent it way out.0 -
That’s why it’s defaulted.
You would have been better paying the bill then disputing it after.
You can try raising it to the ombudsman0 -
While they were investigating surely it should have been put on hold.
I wasn't in a position to pay it, why should they hold on to my money because they can't sort out an issue between themselves.
Thanks for the advice I will have a look into that0 -
No it won’t be put on hold.
People think not paying means things just stop - it doesn’t.0 -
I don't think not paying it will just make it stop at all. I just don't want to be unfairly charged. I'm not paying for something I haven't used. If i didn't want to pay I wouldn't have paid the electricity either but that got paid fine. I've moved properties quite a few times and never experienced anything like this.
I have co-operated in every request they have made for multiple photos etc it is SP that can't get organised.0 -
I think if you raise it as a complaint instead of just disputing the final bill, that's when it would have been put on hold. I'm not sure what you can do about the default but to sort out the bill you need to contact them and tell them you want to make a complaint about your disputed final gas bill.
Once you raise it as a complaint, they then have eight weeks to resolve it, or issue you a deadlock letter. Then you can take your complaint to OFGEM.
Make sure you follow their complaints procedure: https://community.scottishpower.co.uk/t5/Complaints/ScottishPower-Complaints/ta-p/370 -
.
I have co-operated in every request they have made for multiple photos etc it is SP that can't get organised.
Unfortunatly when your account gets past a certain point overdue, computer then adds a default, it shouldnt happen, especially when there is a genuine dispute, but it does, just keep a written account of whats gone on, times/dates of letters etc, it will help you when/if you take your case to the ombudsman.
It may take some time, but you must raise a written complaint with them first, whats been done can be rectified.
Could be a genuine error, but more likley its incompetance.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
