Paypal have blocked my husband and I and won't tell us why!?

Hi

I received an email from Paypal which said my account had been permanently limited. I contacted them by email and received no answer. I then called them and they said that my account had been limited due to 'links with someone with the same surname'. I asked, do you mean my husband - our accounts aren't linked - I don't understand why you have done this. Paypal said - we're not a bank and if we think there is a risk to the account due to similar surnames we are within their right to stop the account! I questioned this - I have the same surname as my husband's cousin but we are not related or linked. My sister has the same surname as my mum but there is no financial link - this makes absolutely no sense to me. My husband then received a similar email from Paypal and then had a similarly frustrating phone call. They refused to tell him why his account had been closed (permanently apparently) but said it was due to links with another rogue account.
Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone suggest what's going on? What course of action can I take to resolve this? It's hugely frustrating and worrying.

Thanks

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    They have a Facebook Community Forum, might have some suggestions. Or maybe their own community help centre, someone may have been in your position.
    https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/home
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Are you sure it is not a scam?
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,295 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    I would be wary of any emails from Paypal . If I receive one, I never reply to it or click on any links connected to it, I log into my account separately to see if there is an issue.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Have you asked your husbands cousin if he's had a problem
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Spam email.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would be wary of any emails from Paypal . If I receive one, I never reply to it or click on any links connected to it, I log into my account separately to see if there is an issue.

That's not what the OP has done though, the OP has called PP and asked them about the issue.
  • Calling Paypal is okay providing that they found the phone number on the Paypal website (after going to it by typing the address in themselves and not clicking on an e-mail link) and didn't use a phone number that was supplied on the e-mail.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Will the op return to the thread..?
  • hollydays wrote: »
    Will the op return to the thread..?

Looking at the other two threads that the OP has started in the past, I would say that the odds of them returning to this one are fairly poor.
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I don't allow my c/c details to be saved on Paypal & I check often that no-one has set themselves up as an 'authorised merchant'.

A few years back that is what had happened & 200 USD had been taken by 'Facebook Ireland' for advertising! I had to raise a dispute & Paypal did sort it out with no loss to me pretty quickly, but I found 16 pages on the community forum of others in the same predicament, from many different countries, all monies taken in any currency but their own, & for some, numerous times.
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure