Women lose landmark legal fight against state pension age rise - MSE News

Options

Comments

• Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    Lots of bad things happen to lots of people

I feel sorry for those people
    Nothing bad happened to the poster under discussion though, she walked out of a job without another to go to, never bothered to get another one, and is now complaining that without a wage she’s not as well off as she’d like.

I’m afraid that she seems to have done something a bit silly, and it’s cost her a bit of money, she’s not been let down by external forces or circumstance.
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 October 2019 at 9:46AM
    Options
    JD was either too stupid to read and understand not one but two letters or she attempted to make a fraudulent declaration in court.

I quit work after intolerable pressures and retired early but I made damn sure that I could AFFORD to do it, anything else is asking for trouble. The height of my academic achievement was O levels, it isn't rocket science to prepare for retirement.

Our poster here did the same thing but seems to want to blame society, sexism, sexual inequality, single parenthood, social pressures, government (non) mistakes etc - trotting out pretty much any excuse she can think of instead of taking responsibility for her own lack of knowledge and planning.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    JD was either too stupid to read and understand not one but two letters or she attempted to make a fraudulent declaration in court.

I quit work after intolerable pressures and retired early but I made damn sure that I could AFFORD to do it, anything else is asking for trouble. The height of my academic achievement was O levels, it isn't rocket science to prepare for retirement.

Our poster here did the same thing but seems to want to blame society, sexism, sexual inequality, single parenthood, social pressures, government (non) mistakes etc - trotting out pretty much any excuse she can think of instead of taking responsibility for her own lack of knowledge and planning.
    I'm another one who can't comprehend leaving work (speaking about JD - I appreciate that she was probably concerned about her Mother) without doing the sums and research beforehand.
    How can someone go to court and say she
    became aware of the changes to the state pension age in around 2010/2011. However, I was led to believe at the time that nothing would change until 2020 and I would, therefore, be unaffected…
    <shakes head in disbelief>
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kangoora wrote: »
    That is precisely what it boils down to: no personal responsibility for their own affairs. Everything is the fault of someone else.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,249 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's symptomatic of the constant media narrative that women, and only women, are the victims of sexism.
    I have seen this too, but for most 1950's women IMO it was just part of the environment and you got on with it - preferably by not "consenting" to be a "victim". That generally meant you kept your eyes open and relied on yourself as much as possible ie took notice of what was going on in the world.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LHW99 wrote: »
    I have seen this too, but for most 1950's women IMO it was just part of the environment and you got on with it - preferably by not "consenting" to be a "victim". That generally meant you kept your eyes open and relied on yourself as much as possible ie took notice of what was going on in the world.

As a woman who joined the Armed Forces in the 1970s, been there, done that, dealt with it.
  • thepurplepixie
    Options
    We all dealt with stuff and we all had to put up with stuff like getting paid less than men doing the same job. I paid the married woman's stamp for several years and used the money to pay for insurance so that if I died my husband would get some money to help bring up our kids, he didn't need to do that as his NI stamp meant if he died his widow (me) would get a pension as a widowed mother. So women didn't get the same benefits for their NI contributions. Swings and roundabouts, they can't exactly backdate that can they.

Thank heavens we have equality on these things now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank heavens we have equality on these things now.

Thank goodness men and women now have equal life expectancies so receive equal periods of retirement.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I was one of the last women to get my pension at 60, being born in January 1950. I got my SRP in 2010.

My husband is almost exactly a year older than me, yet didn't get his SRP until 2014.

How was that ever fair? I'm glad it has been equalised now, and if i was one of the women who have to wait longer because of the change, while I might not have liked it, I hope I would see that it was the right thing to do.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • thepurplepixie
    Options
    No one is saying it isn't right, what people are saying, well most of them, is that some women got too little notice to prepare for the second change. I was one of the 1953 women, didn't make much difference to me as I was earning £100k and a few extra months part time more than made up for it but it wasn't fair to some women, men always knew they were preparing for SRP at 65. Can you see that changing the rules without enough warning wasn't fair, not the first change but the second one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure