We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Defaults - should I partially satisfy them for a discount?
MillennialDebtor
Posts: 13 Forumite
Hi all,
My credit report is in a real mess thanks to losing my job in 2017, and mix ups with two phone companies in 2015 and 2018. I have four defaults as follows:
10/06/2015 ; £25 ; Three (Sim Card) - SETTLED
25/01/2017; £570; Next (Mail Order) - Payment plan set up
14/02/2017; £558; Pounds2Pocket (Payday Loan)
23/03/2018; £164; O2 (Phone Contract)
I've received many offers through the post to settle these for smaller amounts (up to 50% discount) but they will only be marked as partially satisfied. I can afford to clear them in full, it will just take longer as I'm also working on clearing credit cards with high interest rates as a priority.
Should I clear the defaulted accounts for less, even though they will only be marked as partially satisfied, or take a year or so to settle them in full? I'm hoping to get a mortgage (obviously not from a high street lender) in a couple of years, so what will stand me in better stead?
Many thanks,
MD
My credit report is in a real mess thanks to losing my job in 2017, and mix ups with two phone companies in 2015 and 2018. I have four defaults as follows:
10/06/2015 ; £25 ; Three (Sim Card) - SETTLED
25/01/2017; £570; Next (Mail Order) - Payment plan set up
14/02/2017; £558; Pounds2Pocket (Payday Loan)
23/03/2018; £164; O2 (Phone Contract)
I've received many offers through the post to settle these for smaller amounts (up to 50% discount) but they will only be marked as partially satisfied. I can afford to clear them in full, it will just take longer as I'm also working on clearing credit cards with high interest rates as a priority.
Should I clear the defaulted accounts for less, even though they will only be marked as partially satisfied, or take a year or so to settle them in full? I'm hoping to get a mortgage (obviously not from a high street lender) in a couple of years, so what will stand me in better stead?
Many thanks,
MD
0
Comments
-
Settle them with a discount. The default has done the damage, the priority now is to get them settled.0
-
No doubt you will be lambasted by some, for the above advice, but actually it’s the sensible option, the damage has been done now, so get the best deals you can and don’t look back.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter0
-
Since you're already stuck with the defaults, having them as "partially satisfied" will be significantly better than them being unsettled, so I'd personally recommend you take the partial settlement option. Not many people will lend to you with a default on your file anyway, so I'd get it settled now and save yourself some money and stress.0
-
Thank you everyone I'll do as you suggest and get them all settled ASAP. Much appreciated.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

