»

The Great Big Green Discussion Thread - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

The Great Big Green Discussion Thread

edited 16 October 2019 at 1:27PM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
151 replies 5.7K views
145791016

Replies

  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Nope, you seem to have missed the point entirely. Her childhood has been stolen because she is spending it fighting for something that everyone and their aunt can see is necessary, and beneficial, unless you make a living from FF's, or your political career depends on FF campaign contributions.
    Nope, it's you that has missed the point. That child is living in terror of AGW & it's her parents who are responsible for instilling & nurturing that fear. There's a word for terrorising children....;)
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
  • JKenHJKenH Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper First Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you therefore think that everything is perfect in the world and we should continue on as is, and indeed perhaps spread more of the 'fossil fuel good times' to all of the underdeveloped parts of the world because there is no downside to that?

    It begs the question why on earth you're on a green and ethical part of the MSE board? I can only conclude that it's because you're here to troll? Why else do you come here? Honest question.

    Below is what I posted yesterday about future use of !!!!!! so if you think I am supporting greater roll out of !!!!!! to the third world you may be under a misapprehension.
    JKenH wrote: »
    While I am a great supporter of what !!!!!! have done for us in the past and may do in the immediate future I would be surprised if there is an investment case for any new FF plants anywhere? Because I am an optimist I see RE being rolled out an ever increasing rate and any new FF generation plant will surely be uneconomic/redundant in 20 years time.

    New technologies develop at an ever increasing rate - look where wind and solar were 20 years ago and something new may also come along. Who can predict the future of energy technology and prices in 20 years time? I’m pretty certain however it won’t include FF as primary production (back up maybe). Africa nations have huge RE potential - look at the Sahara for PV - to not only generate but export power. The only fly in the ointment is the geo-political situation which across Africa is very unstable and that might dictate a policy of nation state energy independence.

    I am here because I am interested in green technology. I don’t see a problem in discussing the pros and cons on a forum like this or must we only discuss the pros and ignore the cons?

    I would remind you that you specifically created this thread (see below) for us to engage in these pointless arguments which you didn’t like in other threads and now it seems some of our views are not even welcome here.
    Hi, This is a thread to allow people to argue about things in the belief that their time is not wasted because World Leaders subscribe to MSE and read and then act upon their views on Nuclear powered heating, that Fossil Fuels Are Great (or not), Global Warming, Climate Change, Flat Earth, Space blinds that block the Sun, AI, Robots, Terra-form machines that extract Carbon from the atmosphere and all the other pointless nonsense that is clogging up the other threads on the board.

    Have at it, world influencers! :beer:

    Perhaps you would like to start a new thread?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, Nissan Leaf (plus some ICEs:) )
  • HexaneHexane Forumite
    201 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Nope, it's you that has missed the point. That child is living in terror of AGW & it's her parents who are responsible for instilling & nurturing that fear.
    Wrong again - she learned about AGW at school, and took her concerns home.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
  • edited 13 October 2019 at 3:38PM
    pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 October 2019 at 3:38PM
    JKenH wrote: »
    Below is what I posted yesterday about future use of !!!!!! so if you think I am supporting greater roll out of !!!!!! to the third world you may be under a misapprehension.

    Perhaps I'm struggling with your inconsistency then? you seem to be saying that fossil fuels have been good for the development of our society and that there has been no negative effects and that young people arguing against FF should understand this.

    Yet you're also agreeing with the young people you just pilloried, when you say we should move away from these same fossil fuels and that less developed parts of the world shouldn't follow us down the same glorious FF path. I don't understand your two points as they would seem to be at odds with each other?
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EricMears wrote: »
    Perhaps instead of saying "you have stolen my childhood" she should have said "I have wasted my childhood". Many other children have managed to use their childhood.

    I don't think trying to encourage action to mitigate the worst impacts of the climate crisis is a waste. that seems 100% both green and ethical.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I don't think trying to encourage action to mitigate the worst impacts of the climate crisis is a waste. that seems 100% both green and ethical.

    I think we're struggling with the same issue Mart. We are forgetting that we are posting on a moneysaving board. While you and I (and a few others) may be interested in the application of Green Tech for Green and Ethical reasons, the other members are interested in Moneysaving. Oh, and one or two are just here for a rumble.

    We're not in Navitron anymore, Toto.
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Nope, it's you that has missed the point. That child is living in terror of AGW & it's her parents who are responsible for instilling & nurturing that fear. There's a word for terrorising children....;)

    Nope, just another giant spinning squirrel!

    This young lady, like many other people (all ages, races, sexes etc) is well aware of the severity of the climate crisis.

    Like most logical people that believe in science and facts, she would like more action. She (as do so many of us) also knows that the sooner and greater we act, the lower the ultimate cost will be, and the ultimate damage.

    Also the younger the people are that are demanding action, the greater the impacts they will see, especially if runaway global warming happens, since most of us will be dead and 'avoid' it.

    You (and Ken and GA) can live in a bubble of denial, or diet denial, all you like, but this is a green and ethical board, and AGW is a scientific fact, not something to be played with, with silly spin and nonsense arguments.

    We all know the truth, there's a problem, there are solutions, we just need to act, and act faster. The only dissenting arguments grew up from the FF industries anti-science and denial campaigns. If it takes a 16yr old girl to speak truth to power, then old(er) men should be ashamed at themselves, not trying to hide their denial (and shame) by posting ridiculous criticisms against her.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we're struggling with the same issue Mart. We are forgetting that we are posting on a moneysaving board. While you and I (and a few others) may be interested in the application of Green Tech for Green and Ethical reasons, the other members are interested in Moneysaving. Oh, and one or two are just here for a rumble.

    We're not in Navitron anymore, Toto.

    Very true, but as I've been saying, and my recent posting from the Bank of England confirms, action is cheaper than inaction, so fighting against AGW tooth and claw, is actually the ultimate moneysaving venture. :D

    The only losers will be science deniers and those with a financial interest in FF's.


    Upton Sinclair — 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.'
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick1961Nick Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Nope, just another giant spinning squirrel!

    This young lady, like many other people (all ages, races, sexes etc) is well aware of the severity of the climate crisis.

    Like most logical people that believe in science and facts, she would like more action. She (as do so many of us) also knows that the sooner and greater we act, the lower the ultimate cost will be, and the ultimate damage.

    Also the younger the people are that are demanding action, the greater the impacts they will see, especially if runaway global warming happens, since most of us will be dead and 'avoid' it.

    You (and Ken and GA) can live in a bubble of denial, or diet denial, all you like, but this is a green and ethical board, and AGW is a scientific fact, not something to be played with, with silly spin and nonsense arguments.

    We all know the truth, there's a problem, there are solutions, we just need to act, and act faster. The only dissenting arguments grew up from the FF industries anti-science and denial campaigns. If it takes a 16yr old girl to speak truth to power, then old(er) men should be ashamed at themselves, not trying to hide their denial (and shame) by posting ridiculous criticisms against her.
    You carry on sacrificing children on your green altar if that's what you feel comfortable with.

    The reference to "old(er) men" isn't very PC in these days of sexual equality is it Mart?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus Batteries - 12kWh
  • edited 13 October 2019 at 4:15PM
    pile-o-stonepile-o-stone Forumite
    396 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 13 October 2019 at 4:15PM
    Here is a helpline for all the middle aged men on here, who are angry at a child:

    https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440

    "The Greta Thunberg Helpline, because we all know that when it comes to climate change, she's the real problem"
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support