internet to garden cabin

internet to garden cabin 60' away
I wish to get access to internet in my solidly constructed cabin which has electricity connected to the house. However the line out to the cabin from the consumer center (modern fusebox) in the house is seperate from the house 'ring'. But it comes from the same 'fusebox'. Easiest solution would be powerlines, but don't know how electricity works inside a fusebox and whether the internet data can travel from the house line that the router is connected to and 'find' the armoured cable going out to the cabin!

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,868
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Powerline works if the two plugs go through the same fusebox. In most cases, HomePlugs will work on electrical circuits that share the same electricity meter. If you have a three-phase power supply (which is not that common for residential properties), Powerline adapters will only work on the same phase.

The distance for a powerline should be good for about 200m in theory which should be enough unless you live in a mansion or something. The alternative is a really long wired network cable suitable for outdoor use that you may be able to bury or conceal that comes from the house to the cabin.
  • It's a Hager asa fusebox, with 2 fat leads coming in from the garden joining 4 others going into the main box and then into the meter. Def. all in one fusebox and one meter. This is an ordinary house with modest domestic appliances.
    Any recommendations and specs for what kind of item to buy? I've scrolled through brands and specifications without knowing what they mean as regards power etc.
    There will just be a couple of computers in the 2 cabins.
    Thanks so much for your help.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    Easy to test 60' using powerline - just buy from Amazon and return if it doesn't work OR is not reliable (which is more likely with powerline).
    Running toughened ethernet is most reliable.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    The alternative is a really long wired network cable suitable for outdoor use that you may be able to bury or conceal that comes from the house to the cabin.

Assuming this is feasible for the OP, this is certainly the best option.
  • I found Powerline adaptors did not work very well for me at all.
    Persevered with them for months then binned them.
    Does your home wifi not reach that far ??
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I found Powerline adaptors did not work very well for me at all.
    Persevered with them for months then binned them.
    Does your home wifi not reach that far ??

My home wifi is great over 40 ft and through two pre cast concrete walls.

I have power line adapters and just home wifi in my study and the home wifi gives the greater download speed most times.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The OP is running two threads on this subject, but has most recently responded on his other thread on the Broadband & Internet Access board:
    internet to garden cabin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport