IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private parking ticket - advice

Options
Saqqqqq
Saqqqqq Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 29 September 2019 at 7:11PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi, writing on behalf of driver and keeper of vehicle for some advice. I have the read the MSE forums and guidance but thought id ask specifically...

Driver parked in a Brittania parking lot that charges £.120 for 2 hours, £1.50 for 3 hours. Driver parks here regularly for 2 hour slots a number of afternoons per week.

On September 4th, driver must have done this and parked here for her usual 2 hours. (But driver ofcourse no longer have the pay and display ticket anymore).

Brittania wrote on the 12th September to the registered keeper of the car at a separate address - except they addressed it to the registered keeper with the name incorrectly spelt (at least the first name was wrongly spelt - to the point where it is a similar name but conceivably a different name).

Driver only received the unopened letter today, and opened it despite the incorrect spelling of registered keepers name.

Anyway, Brittania alleges (with cam footage) that the car entered and departed the private parking lot in 2 hours 20 minutes. Therefore (in theory, if driver did pay for the 2 hours), an overrun of her ticket by 20 minutes.

For this they are charging 100 pounds (as it's already over 2 weeks since they issued the notice, they had a reduced 60 pound fee for payment in 14 days).

I'm annoyed as it was a small overrun of the car parking stay, and it's a car park driver regularly uses for 2 hours.

Also the fact they have misspelt the registered keepers name, means they are even chasing an unknown person.

Not sure the best strategy..ignore, reject or appeal..

I sincerely dislike parking lots and their unscrupulous thuggery and thievery. Since they are writing to a misspelt name, I dunno if its worth ignoring. I don't wanna give additional stress levels to driver.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2019 at 6:31PM
    Options
    Edit your post to remove information about who did what. Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper who are two different people.
    Do this before you do anything else!

The advice to ignore has not been given here since the law changed in 2012. You should know this if you have read the NEWBIES.

It appears that the Registered Keeper passed the NTK to the day to day keeper. If the latter doesn't deal with this it will default back to the registered keeper.

Forget the incorrect name, especially if the day to day keeper will be appealing.

Send the initial template in blue from post 1 of the NEWBIES unaltered from either the registered keeper or day to day keeper.

Do not reveal the driver's name under any circumstances.

Get pics of the site and signage as soon as possible, and start reading up on the PoPLA stage from post 3 of the NEWBIES.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Saqqqqq
    Options
    Thanks have made the needful changes to my post and will follow the advice!
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Anyway, Brittania alleges (with cam footage) that the car entered and departed the private parking lot in 2 hours 20 minutes.
    Really? Tell us more.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    Saqqqqq wrote: »
    On September 4th, driver must have done this and parked here for her usual 2 hours.

(But driver of course no longer have the pay and display ticket anymore).

read this MSE advice from 2.5 years ago, and ensure you and the driver etc know for the future

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/05/throwing-pay-display-ticket-away-use-cost-100/
  • Saqqqqq
    Options
    thanks will definitely now keep all parking tickets for the recommended 2 months.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    Options
    I told SWMBO 3 or 4 months , in case its sent late, minimum should be 90 days
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Therefore (in theory, if driver did pay for the 2 hours), an overrun of her ticket by 20 minutes.
    The keeper needs to read the threads found by searching the forum for:

split grace periods POPLA

and NEVER talk about '20 minutes' in the appeals. SPLIT THE TIME so that it's 10 mins on arrival and 10 mins upon leaving, and at POPLA stage go to town explaining why it took that long, as you will see from your search results.

NO IMPLYING WHO WAS DRIVING THOUGH.

POPLA will buy it if you really explain why it took 10 mins observation/transaction period for the 'driver' to find a space, park then pay, and why it then took 10 mins grace to leave the car park (very busy that day due to th sales/Summer traffic? A bad/potholed surface or winding lanes set up of the site? Pedestrians in the way? Lorries delivering? Traffic lights on exit holding up the leaving cars?).

All for POPLA stage. You know how to do the first appeal, from the NEWBIES thread.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure