Nails in tyres

3 in the last few weeks, the first 2 were in the rear tyres but now have found a screw in the front tyre. The tyre has gone flat over night so must have picked it up in the last day or so, now beginning to suspect it is deliberate as not really been anywhere in the last 2 days? It is also a brand new tyre.
Are nails on the road an increasing problem?
Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    perfect10 wrote: »
    3 in the last few weeks, the first 2 were in the rear tyres but now have found a screw in the front tyre. The tyre has gone flat over night so must have picked it up in the last day or so, now beginning to suspect it is deliberate as not really been anywhere in the last 2 days? It is also a brand new tyre.

Are your tyres old? How do you know all 3 were not picked up at the same time?
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Had a row with anyone? Check under the tyres for propped nails etc?
    If you regularly drive past or onto building sites, they could have fallen from vans and trucks.
    Think where you're going where they might have been picked up and avoid those places if possible.
  • perfect10
    perfect10 Posts: 455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2019 at 1:33PM
    DUTR wrote: »
    Are your tyres old? How do you know all 3 were not picked up at the same time?

Brand new tyres, pressure checked regularly, they were all checked when i found the last one
    Entering a few comps here and there 2020 seems my best year for wins so far:- iphone xs, limited edition whiskey, Masha and the Bear toys, newborn baby stuff, 3 x books, 12 months membership to diet app, bottle of syrup, Baby Shark singing puppet, children’s book, Nasty vegan shake x 2 packs.
  • Jackmydad wrote: »
    Had a row with anyone? Check under the tyres for propped nails etc?
    If you regularly drive past or onto building sites, they could have fallen from vans and trucks.
    Think where you're going where they might have been picked up and avoid those places if possible.

I will be checking daily from now on, not fallen out with anyone or know why anyone would want to put me in danger in this way, the screw found today is quite big and could easily have caused the tyre to blow when driving so quite a sinister thought if deliberate?
    I'm not aware of anywhere I could be picking them up and after the first 2 I have been more cautious.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I will be checking daily from now on, not fallen out with anyone or know why anyone would want to put me in danger in this way, the screw found today is quite big and could easily have caused the tyre to blow when driving so quite a sinister thought if deliberate?
    I'm not aware of anywhere I could be picking them up and after the first 2 I have been more cautious.

Yes, the screw propped under the tyre thing is pretty rare, but not unknown, at least as a suspected thing.

But they're surprisingly easy to pick up accidentally. I'd been doing something on the bench in the garage, and had left a couple of biggish screws on there. One found it's way into the tyre that's nearest the bench when the car's in there. At least the screw in the tyre was the same size, and there was only one on the bench.
  • woman near me, living on a private untarmacked lane, kept getting flat tyres from nails etc. Couldn't think how. Eventually realised the guy down the lane was burning old pallets etc with nails in, and innocently filling in the pot holes with cinders containing the nails etc. No mal intent. Could be an innocent explanation.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    In my town one particular area has a known problem of nails and screws deliberately scattered over the road.
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 September 2019 at 5:19PM
    Interesting post - Ive not had a puncture in many, many years but have now had TWO in the last 3 weeks at different locations due to screws. Tyres completely flat too, so not even slow punctures. One was picked up many miles away from home so surely not malicious unless someone ifs following me!

Different cars and both were repairable but it did strike me as unlucky or odd.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    I will be checking daily from now on, not fallen out with anyone or know why anyone would want to put me in danger in this way

It doesn't even need to be anyone you know ... it could simply be kids being r-soles (as happened to me when they deliberately stabbed 2 of my tyres which would have made it impossible to take the tyres to a repair place. Fortunately a neighbour had the same model car so I borrowed their spare wheel as well as using my own).
  • perfect10 wrote: »
    I will be checking daily from now on.

I sometimes open the car windows slightly and listen for the periodic tapping of objects working their way into the tyre treads, and investigate if I hear something. I found a screw that way once. When I used to cycle long distances it was an effective way of avoiding punctures.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure