Back to 60's Judicial Review Outcome

Options

Comments

• Mortgagefreeman
    Options
    nigelbb wrote: »
    The State Pension age for women was 60 years of age less than ten years ago.

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of financial adviser? God help your clients if that's typical of your knowledge of such basic pension facts.

The changes for women’s State Pension age were announced in the 1993 Budget, and were discussed widely in the media at the time. You’d have to be living in a cave to be unaware of them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pension-age-for-women-will-rise-to-65-1507210.html
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The changes for women’s State Pension age were announced in the 1993 Budget, and were discussed widely in the media at the time. You’d have to be living in a cave to be unaware of them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/pension-age-for-women-will-rise-to-65-1507210.html

There were also changes in 2011.
    There appears to be greater agreement that this was bad for some women (not the same as all women born in the 60s) even from the pensions minister

https://citywire.co.uk/new-model-adviser/news/webb-we-made-a-bad-decision-on-state-pension-age-rises/a866283
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Aren't you supposed to be some sort of financial adviser? God help your clients if that's typical of your knowledge of such basic pension facts.

You are wrong. The changes occurred in 1995. So, it ceased being 60 for the OP 24 years ago. Maybe you should improve your knowledge before saying such things.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Or indeed twins born 31/12/1959 where one gets the pension 6 years ahead of the other.

All other things being equal yes (pay, opportunities, even education was not equal of course).
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 September 2019 at 6:21PM
    Options

It was certainly well advertised (and not just in The Independent) by 1995. As I've said before, my late mum died in 1995 after being housebound for several months - but she knew all about it, as she and her visiting friends discussed it/moaned about it. It didn't affect her, as she was already 60 - but she knew my sister and I wouldn't get our pensions at 60.

I was born in 1956, and so had 20 years notice of the main increase (to 65) and then 10 years notice of the 2011 increase to 66. However, I can and do sympathise with the 1953/1954 ladies who were worst hit by the 2011 changes.

To me, a good result would be that the 1953/1954 ladies would get their pension credit age backdated to their 1995 state pension ages. Yes, any payments would be subject to means testing, but those who really need help now would get it.

Unfortunately, WASPE and Back260 are so set on all 1950s women getting their pensions from 60, that this probably wasn't even considered.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    SonOf wrote: »
    Well, you thought wrong then as it hasnt been 60 for many decades.

As you well know, the state pension age for a woman born in the 1950s has not been 60 years of age since the law changed in the mid 1990s to significant publicity, after consultation in the early 1990s (which started more than a quarter century ago).

It is fair for SonOf to say that for 'many decades' a woman born in the 50s should not have been expecting to retire at 60 and be complaining now that she is having to wait six years longer than that. Retiring at 60 was well and truly taken off the table for ladies born in the 1950s, following the law change in 1995.

The other day a friend commented that she still had her cinema ticket from when her mum took her to see Toy Story as a five-year-old in 1996. This came to mind because since then she's grown into a 29-year old lady with her own career and family, taking her own six-year-old-child to see Toy Story 4 this summer.

That is the sort of timescale we are talking about since her (then 37-year old) mum became aware that she should not expect to retire at 60 ; long enough ago for a (then) five year old to now be talking about where to go for a 30th birthday family holiday next June.

The idea that SonOf is illiterate in financial planning matters and 'god help his clients' seems somewhat far off the mark.
  • barnstar2077
    Options
    Do we need another thread of arguing about this?
    Think first of your goal, then make it happen!
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    “ The State Pension age for women was 60 years of age less than ten years ago.

Originally posted by nigelbb
    SonOf wrote: »
    You are wrong. The changes occurred in 1995. So, it ceased being 60 for the OP 24 years ago. Maybe you should improve your knowledge before saying such things.

SonOf is right. In 1995, my State pension age was 65.

nigel, are you getting confused with the date the increases actually began - in 2010?
  • merrydance
    Options
    Confusing if I was born in 1950 I would have my state pension at 60. Born 1956 have to wait 6 more years until I am 66. Doesn't seem fair to me.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    merrydance wrote: »
    Confusing if I was born in 1950 I would have my state pension at 60. Born 1956 have to wait 6 more years until I am 66. Doesn't seem fair to me.

But if WASPE and Back260 get their way, women born in 1959 would get their pensions from 60 - whereas women (and men) born just a few months later, in 1960, would have to wait until they are 66. You seem to think that is fair, so why the double standards?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback