does plusnet fibre broadband work with The Post Office HomePhone landline?

Options
I'm 12 months into an 18 month fibre broadband package with plusnet and my landline save just ended after 12 months

Plusnet landline is now £18.99 and I don't want to lock myself into a 12 month landline saver contract with Plusnet

Post office is £13 per month for landline for 12 months

If I swap my landline contract to the PO will I get issues... at the end of my PN fibre package in 6 months I will go down to adsl BB so may move from PN

thoughts ? anyone moved to PO landline with PN fibre ?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Will PN let you use a non PN supplied landline for their BB . Dont know you need to ask PN .
  • zillon
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Will PN let you use a non PN supplied landline for their BB . Dont know you need to ask PN .

What a completely unhelpfull reply.. why bother when you can't add value to a thread.. of course I'm talking to PN and PO...

I did talk to more inciteful Plusnet community members and found out that Plusnet have a £2.50 surcharge on BB if you don't have their landline and also that the post office home phone contract does allowing post office broadband

My key takeaway is ensure your broadband and landline contracts are the same length...
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    zillon wrote: »
    What a completely unhelpfull reply.. why bother when you can't add value to a thread.. of course I'm talking to PN and PO...

You've just about guaranteed that nobody else will try to help you.

I know of NO mainstream broadband providers that will let you have your landline with another company. They all sell packages. In fact you'll likely find that your landline forms part of your overall broadband contract, and leaving one will likely be a breach of contract leading to early termination charges.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have now discovered how Plusnet get extra money out of their customers. By posting competitive up front broadband deals over 18 months but incorporating a 12 month phone line package you are obliged to pay extra for your landline for 6 months or otherwise incur a penalty fee should you try to leave.

This is a common practice and is obviously something you didn't notice when you signed up with them. Personally I would just stick with them for 6 months and then move without penalty.

If you want to get some money back then sign up with a new provider via Quidco or Topcashback and get some cashback to compensate yourself.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 September 2019 at 2:01PM
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    I know of NO mainstream broadband providers that will let you have your landline with another company.
    Plusnet most certainly do I have been with them for years, now on their fibre broadband and my landline has always been with BT.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    zillon wrote: »
    My key takeaway is ensure your broadband and landline contracts are the same length...

Not always easy! The telecoms companies do it on purpose to offer the best broadband deals on an 18month contract and the best telephone line deal on a 12 month contract.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed they do supply "broadband only" but the question is will they allow the op to change line provider mid broadband contract, the price of which was set on the understanding that they supplied the line. I wonder what disaster will occur when another provider takes over the line but not the ASDL connection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure