Ford easy fuel .

Hi guys,

recently bought a brand new fiesta st line 100 EcoBoost 1.0 and pick it up soon. I’ve been told about the east fuel system which they have.

When you lock the car, does the fuel tank cap lock as well?

if not, what if some vandals come along to try and syphen (not sure how to spell) or put foreign objects down into my fuel tank: as the fuel cap won’t lock!

is this not an extremely bad design if not?& also, if it’s the case of “no it doesn’t lock”, can you buy fuel cap locks for it. If so, what locks would I be looking at?

thank you

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 29 September 2019 at 8:00AM
    Flap doesn't lock. It will be near on impossible to get a tube down the filler. Locking caps and flaps can be got around quite easily with damaging the car. If they are that desperate for your fuel they will spike the tank anyway. There are locking conversion kits available such as https://www.petrolcaps.co.uk/capless/ford-capless-fuel-caps.php or you can get a capless plug from Ford, not sure if it is EU approved or will fit post 2016 though as I can't seem to find it on any UK official site.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Locking-Fuel-Cap-Plug-Lock-For-Capless-System-2008-2016-8U5Z-9C268-B-NEW/133185080519?hash=item1f02730cc7:g%3Cimg%20src=
  • In over 30 years of driving I've never had fuel siphoned or foreign objects shoved into the filler.
    Never had a locking cap, most of my cars never even had a flap over the filler cap.
    Come to think of it,I don't know anyone who's has it happen either.
    I have had someone shove a screwdriver through the land Rover petrol tank but that's obviously a different matter.
    I think you are possibly worrying over nothing.
  • In over 30 years of driving I've never had fuel siphoned or foreign objects shoved into the filler.
    Never had a locking cap, most of my cars never even had a flap over the filler cap.
    I have had someone shove a screwdriver through the land Rover petrol tank but that's obviously a different matter.

Ok that’s good to know. This is my first new and decent car. My only car previous was donkeys year old. So all this is completely different.

I may be overthinking you’re right as I’m completely new to it all. But I’ve just had a thought. Plus of what I’ve read about online and instantly thought about these so called ‘issues’
    molerat wrote: »
    Flap doesn't lock. It will be near on impossible to get a tube down the filler. Locking caps and flaps can be got around quite easily with damaging the car. If they are that desperate for your fuel they will spike the tank anyway. There are locking conversion kits available.

May you link me to these locking conversion kits please
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Put links in my post. It shows self tapping screws for fitting though so not sure how effective it would be !
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Hold on... The fuel flap doesn't lock on the central locking? But they've been doing that since the 80s!

Blimey, yet more back-door "de-contenting"... It all started when they started using "torsion beam" rear suspension instead of actual independent suspension. But it's OK, just look at the list of electronic fripperies...
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Do not change the filler. It's as good if not better than anything else out there.
  • I've had that kind of fuel filler system on my Fiesta since 2011 and have not had any problems.

It's tricky to get past the sealing flap without a properly designed funnel, which I doubt vandals would carry, so inserting foreign objects into the tank would be unlikely.

The Fiesta tank only holds 42 litres when full, so a thief's financial rewards for siphoning out the petrol would be small.
  • Ok that’s good to know. This is my first new and decent car. My only car previous was donkeys year old. So all this is completely different

But the fuel in them is the same, so why should scrotes target a new car instead of a banger?

I think you are overthinking all of this. With respect, it's only a Fiesta. Plenty of people park £100k+ vehicles along the roadside without worry.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • That is very very true. There’s plenty of higher value cars on the road,

I’m obviously just overthinking haha!

Thanks for your replies guys
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business