Used Skoda Discount

Options
Hi,

I’m looking to buy a used Skoda Citigo from a main dealer. Price is £7000, I can get it around £700 cheaper from a small car dealer but prefer to buy from main dealer.

Anyone got any idea or suggestions on how much discount I could get? I plan on getting my own finance from Sainsbury’s as the rate, 3.6% is a lot better than Skoda.

Comments

• DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Knocking a few hundred off shouldn't be hard. Just say you will leave a deposit if they can do it for £6,500.

Another option is to see if they have deposit contributions on their finance deals (usually PCP). I bought a used car in Feb, and I got £500 off by doing the above, and then took it out on their finance to get £1,000 deposit contribution and 2 free services. I then simply paid off the finance in full.

I had the cash though...taking out a personal loan and a car finance loan at the same time might logistically be difficult, but probably doable...
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    If you show the price at the other dealer to the Skoda sales person they might match it, assuming everything is the same (age, mileage, trim level optional extras).

Are you 100% sure you can get a loan at that APR from Sainsburys? Not everyone gets their representative rate
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • Penelopa.Pitstop
    Options
    Isn't main dealer offering 1yr warranty or similar, comparing to trader not offering it at all or short one with third party company? That would be different in price.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cheers for the tips, small dealer offers 6 month warranty, but I consider it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. I should get the rate, have excellent credit history, 645 on Credit Karma.
  • System
    Options
    Will the fact I’m using my own finance affect the deal, I always thought dealers made money out of the finance packages.
  • Clive_Woody
    Options
    Jonjoe2019 wrote: »
    Will the fact I’m using my own finance affect the deal, I always thought dealers made money out of the finance packages.
    They do make money and often offer incentives to use their finance.

It might be worth going with their finance to get any discount or offers then pay if off within the 14 day cooling off period using your a bank loan.
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
  • DrEskimo
    DrEskimo Posts: 2,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cheers for the tips, small dealer offers 6 month warranty, but I consider it’s not worth the paper it’s written on. I should get the rate, have excellent credit history, 645 on Credit Karma.

Your credit score is largely meaningless. The lender won't see it when you make an application. They will judge you on your income levels, current debt levels, how long you've been in employment, you previous history with credit, your banking history, etc etc.

As above, don't assume you will get the headline rate. Be prepared for having to do a couple of applications and getting a higher APR.

Ideally, keep saving and wait till you can pay cash, or at those amounts, put some of it on a 0% CC.
  • System
    Options
    Regarding finance rates, thanks for the info but I always get the best rate, got it 2 years ago, and many times before that.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Surely a Citigo at that price is still under manufacturers warranty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure