Motor Insurance claim help needed

Options
Hi any advice would be really appreciated.
I was driving up my road the other day and both sides of the road were parked up with no spaces I went round a sharp bend at the top of the road when a vehicle [taxi] approached in the opposite direction. I pulled over as close to parked cars to give as much room for the taxi to pass as his side of the road was also parked up apart from one space. I was committed to passing parked cars and had been for much of the length of my road and had nowhere else to go. The taxi rather than pull into the space continued to drive around the parked cars and hit me and continued to drive damaging my car from passenger door to the rear wheel arch.
I reported the incident to my insurer who has informed me that I was at fault [even though I was already committed to passing parked cars even before this Taxi had joined our road] because the space between parked vehicles gave the Taxi right of way. This surprised me somewhat as I believed that in situations where both sides of the road are parked up with cars neither side has right of way but if there is a space the vehicle on the side of the space should pull in to allow the vehicle coming in the opposite direction to pass safely [there were no spaces on my side of the road].

Comments

• Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably 50 split fault. You'll both get the blame. Get a dash cam.
  • Bigphil1474
    Options
    OP, if you are saying you'd pulled up i.e. stationary, then not sure how they can say it's your fault. If you were both moving, then probably 50/50. Have you taken photos of the street situation for reference. Maybe they didn't understand your explanation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure