Waiters/restaurant workers (especially in chains) - tell us, who gets the tips?

Options
Former_MSE_Gary
Former_MSE_Gary Posts: 11 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Carluccio's has said it gives cash tips to waiting staff, but card tips are split between all staff, including managers, based on hours worked. So we want to know how it works elsewhere, so that customers who choose to tip, can understand where it goes

Please tip us off (and let us know which chain you work at).
Energy & Utilities Editor at MoneySavingExpert.com
Get Martin's Money Tips
Join the MSE Forum

Comments

• Work in a small chain, from myself and all waiter/ress who come to the desk all tips are handed over and put in a pot.
    Said to be used for staff parties.

After being there 3 months it was said I could put it through the computer system if the guest wishes, but since head office restrict and greatly control my privileges I can't be doing with it.

Anyway just had an interview where my zero-hours came up and that must mean I don't have to give notice! had to tell the employer it wasn't quite zero-hours as anybody else knows it and I'm required to give a week's notice because rota's are done a week in advance which fortunately for me was brought. When it gets to a month after 6 months, I'll have to go with the whole well it takes a month notice to take holiday ! My "contract of employment" bothers me more then tips to be fair.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Even when we pay by card, we always tip in cash directly to the staff who've served us
    I don't want to tip the manager.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I usually ask to see the chef and ask if the chef can take tips, if the food is amazing. I understand the waiter brought it but I've had a couple of amazing meals where the chef deserved every penny and was able to take the tip. Again most goes in a pot though.

I always thought tips were equally shared, managers and chefs included so I tip with this in mind but occasionally have asked if they can keep the tip themselves (especially if my DDs friends) and I can't think of many times I've been told the tips are individuals.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • ibizafan_2
    Options
    Many of the large chain pub restaurants pay credit card tips into the employee’s wages. As far as I know, in this kind of establishment, the waiting staff keep their own tips, particularly if they do all steps of service themselves, from ordering right through to payment of bills. However, this would probably be different if customers order food at the bar rather than at the table, and some restaurants will have their own way of doing things, such as waiting staff giving a percentage to chefs. It’s always worth asking waiting staff if they get tips on credit cards but most of them would prefer it in cash anyway.
  • Lauren5454
    Options
    I've worked in a few restaurants and each place has been different.
    My current work place splits all tips with kitchen staff only, I've worked in places where it's split at the end of the day with all staff and others where it's split by the number of hours you do.
    It's worth asking your waiter how it works in that establishment
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Work in a small chain, from myself and all waiter/ress who come to the desk all tips are handed over and put in a pot.
    Said to be used for staff parties.

After being there 3 months it was said I could put it through the computer system if the guest wishes, but since head office restrict and greatly control my privileges I can't be doing with it.

Anyway just had an interview where my zero-hours came up and that must mean I don't have to give notice! had to tell the employer it wasn't quite zero-hours as anybody else knows it and I'm required to give a week's notice because rota's are done a week in advance which fortunately for me was brought. When it gets to a month after 6 months, I'll have to go with the whole well it takes a month notice to take holiday ! My "contract of employment" bothers me more then tips to be fair.

Are you saying in the time you have worked there the company hasn’t passed on any tips?
    Can you name this small chain?
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some places i knowvofvhavecacfixed percentage rate for splitting credit card tips amongst ALL eligible staff. This includes kitchen as well as table staff but some include whilst others exclude the manager
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I work in a family owned and run cafe. The two owners don't take any tips, the rest of the staff split them equally no matter if you are front of house or kitchen. If someone new comes on shift tips are split to that point then we start again. Same if one person finishes before others.
  • davelewis
    Options
    ibizafan wrote: »
    Many of the large chain pub restaurants pay credit card tips into the employee’s wages.

Wouldn't this imply a tax and national insurance contribution from the wages including tips? Meaning the employee would pay tax and national insurance on tips?

I know technically tips are meant to be declared as income but I always tip my server directly in cash. I never trust restaurants to fully pass on credit card tips without some kind of admin charge.
  • MummaP
    Options
    Servers get to keep 100% of cash tips. Servers keep 70% of cars tips, the remaining 30% is shared between the remaining staff on shift that day depending on hours worked etc.. this includes hourly paid managers but not salaried managers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure