We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Help with a good debit card

Options
Hi there everyone, sorry if this has been posted before but was wandering if anyone knew how to get a real good debit card that can be used anywhere straight away with any kind of account as my sister has a visa electron and not everywhere take them. Im with norwich & peterborough and tried with them but they said i need to have £500 or over going into my account for 6 months, i have tried to look but most of them have these kind of terms and conditions any help would be much appreciated cheers :beer:

Comments

• Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Options
    Hello!

Sorry this isnt good news. To get the VISA debit card (The one you want) you'll have to do the whole paying in 500 a months for a while.....

The problem is that the Electron card requires a pre auth everytime you pay for something which is good for the banks when dealing with BR's, People with a poor credit history and youngsters. It also means that alot of shops wont take them. VISA debit doesnt require a pre auto but you have to prove you can manage money first before they will give you one.

Sorry its not what you wanted to hear. Get an account open and start paying in would be my advice! Also if your over 18 and have a job you might want to start working on your credit file. The better this is the more access you will have to good debit cards and the best credit card deals, giving you more flexability.

Hope this helps!

Zeb,
  • msaquib
    msaquib Posts: 717 Forumite
    Options
    Try opening accounts with Lloyds TSB or Barclays. They have stopped issueing Visa Electron cards and now issue a normal Visa Debit cards to all current account customers. The card will not have an cheque guarantee limit.

MS
  • DarkStrider28
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, yeah i thought that, i was with hsbc but after claiming my bank charges they closed my account, so as you do i opened a seperate account before they closed it and i have to wait 6 months, but i mean if i have to then electron will do for now as quite a few take it. Thanks guys, so will most offer electron straight away
  • Westy@reviewer
    Options
    Hi guys

It's great that banks such as Lloyds TSB, Barclays and A&L are now replacing their Electron cards with Visa Debit cards - giving EVERY Joe Punter the essential means to pay anywhere.

Be aware though, the Visa Debits issued to those customers with a less than perfect credit score with either the bank, or Experian/Equifax - are actually control cards and are still pre-authorised. You can see the difference to the standard Visa Debits by looking at the first 4 digits. They usually read 4659, instead of the more usual 4921/4567 etc...

It is nice to have though - as there are still MANY places unable to accept the older Solo or Electron cards. Especially handy if you're looking to get a contract, as i know Three will not take Solo or Electron cards as part of the sign up process.

Just thought i'd share that!

All the best

Dave
    I am a spokesperson for the local Ninja constituent :D
  • Zebedee69
    Options
    Woo, Zebedee goes to check VISA card..... It starts with 4921 thank god!
  • Zebedee69
    Options
    msaquib wrote: »
    Try opening accounts with Lloyds TSB or Barclays. They have stopped issueing Visa Electron cards and now issue a normal Visa Debit cards to all current account customers. The card will not have an cheque guarantee limit.

MS

Dont be fooled by the Electrons demise. In the future not all VISA cards will be the same. It will depend on your back if you get a Pre Auth allowed or not card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport