New Post Advanced Search

PPI - declined

18 replies 3.8K views
mrsmyersmrsmyers Forumite
4 posts
Hi can anyone advise, i made a claim for PPI, first i was told they couldn't find anything so i was able to find my old acct number (after much digging through old papers) now they have written back saying they have destroyed all paperwork relating to my acct.
My question is can i take this any further or should i just forget about this.
Many thanks & have a great day
«1

Replies

  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    18.3K posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mrsmyers wrote: »
    Hi can anyone advise, i made a claim for PPI, first i was told they couldn't find anything so i was able to find my old acct number (after much digging through old papers) now they have written back saying they have destroyed all paperwork relating to my acct.
    My question is can i take this any further or should i just forget about this.
    Many thanks & have a great day


    Well
    couldn't find anything
    would correlate with
    they have destroyed all paperwork relating to my acct
    Did you actually have PPI or was this a speculative claim in case you had it?
    If you did have it what are your grounds for misselling and is there anything in your old papers that would back that up?
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    PPI - declined

    it hasn't been declined. Your complaint never got that far.

    What they are saying is that they couldnt find any evidence that you had PPI (let alone whether you were missold it or not).
    My question is can i take this any further or should i just forget about this.

    If they have nothing and you have nothing then it is game over. If you have records of you paying PPI, then you can supply copies to them and they are required to use your records.
  • DAKOTA45DAKOTA45 Forumite
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    So...if you just have a bank statement which shows an account number for a loan being paid every month, but have no paperwork, then you can't make a claim for PPI?
    Surely, it would then be in the banks' interests to shred every bit of paperwork over 6 years old...
    They do hang onto old stuff, but they don't need to tell us about it, do they?
  • zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    So...if you just have a bank statement which shows an account number for a loan being paid every month, but have no paperwork, then you can't make a claim for PPI?
    You can make a complaint, but you're reliant on their records.
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    They do hang onto old stuff, but they don't need to tell us about it, do they?

    Yes, they do.
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely, it would then be in the banks' interests to shred every bit of paperwork over 6 years old...

    It doesnt work that way. Data destruction is phased. It is also impacted by whether you are a current customer or not.
    They do hang onto old stuff, but they don't need to tell us about it, do they?

    If you make a DSAR then they are required to give you info on what they hold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    So...if you just have a bank statement which shows an account number for a loan being paid every month, but have no paperwork, then you can't make a claim for PPI?
    Well since August 29th 2019 you can't make a new PPI complaint full stop. However, it is certainly true to say that , prior to that date, complainants without evidence of PPI were fully reliant on their lender's records. Regardless, many many many many many many people had no problem getting refunds despite having no documents to support their complaint. Remember that proving you had PPI was just the first hurdle, in order to be sure of a refund you had to show it was mis-sold to you.

    This has all been very fully explained to you already on other threads... :(
  • DAKOTA45DAKOTA45 Forumite
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    Thanks to all who took the time to reply... Just one thing... I've made several requests to HSBC for a SAR, but they just don't get back to me... so I have contacted the FO and am about to fill in their forms... There are two, one is for the complaint (Failure to suppy a SAR, I imagine), and the other one is the PPI form... I have several policy numbers and wondering if a need a separate form for each one... or would I just put all the accounts that I know I held with HSBC on the same form... it 's a little bit confusing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    DAKOTA45 wrote: »
    I've made several requests to HSBC for a SAR, but they just don't get back to me... so I have contacted the FO and am about to fill in their forms... There are two, one is for the complaint (Failure to suppy a SAR, I imagine), and the other one is the PPI form... I have several policy numbers and wondering if a need a separate form for each one... or would I just put all the accounts that I know I held with HSBC on the same form... it 's a little bit confusing...
    What do you hope will be the result of this "complaint"? If you think it will be anything other than simply a SAR of what they still have on file for you and perhaps an apology for the delay then you are going to be disappointed.
    The FO (Foreign Office ? ) cannot force HSBC to provide information they no longer have (or never had in the first place).
    Sorry.
  • DAKOTA45DAKOTA45 Forumite
    592 posts
    ✭✭
    What do you hope will be the result of this "complaint"? If you think it will be anything other than simply a SAR of what they still have on file for you and perhaps an apology for the delay then you are going to be disappointed.
    The FO (Foreign Office ? ) cannot force HSBC to provide information they no longer have (or never had in the first place).
    Sorry.

    Sorry... Financial Ombudsman...

    Why do you say they 'never had it in the first place'?
    I've had several loans, credit cards & mortgages with HSBC... of course they must have had the paperwork at some point... they may not hold historical records, but then again, I think maybe they do...

    I'm only doing what we were all told to do, which was to put in a claim where there might be (mis-sold) PPI attached to loans & credit cards... we were told by Martin Lewis that we should apply even if we no longer had the original agreement...and that the banks had made billions out of this insurance, even though they knew that some people would never be able to claim on it... :money: said that we had 'nothing to lose'...
    It's got to be worth a try... hasn't it?
  • BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dunno why you bother asking questions......you just do your own thing anyway.

    Fill your boots......nobody here cares either way.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support