Demand from DWP for payment from deceased mother's estate

Options
My mother died in November 2016 and we used the Tell Us Once service.Our solicitor completed the Estate legalities in August 2017.I have now received a letter from DWP saying the estate owes them £4380 and wants it paid.There is no breakdown of what this sum is for or dates regarding from and to payments.It is over 2 years since the estate was dealt with by the solicitor and now I get a demand for a sum with no explanaition whatsoever of what it relates to.

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Go back and ask for a full breakdown of amounts and dates, plus an explanation of why it has taken so long to make this demand.
  • Keith_Shackson
    Options
    My mother died in November 2016 and we used the Tell Us Once service.Our solicitor completed the Estate legalities in August 2017.I have now received a letter from DWP saying the estate owes them £4380 and wants it paid.There is no breakdown of what this sum is for or dates regarding from and to payments.It is over 2 years since the estate was dealt with by the solicitor and now I get a demand for a sum with no explanaition whatsoever of what it relates to.
    Dox wrote: »
    Go back and ask for a full breakdown of amounts and dates, plus an explanation of why it has taken so long to make this demand.
    Yes I will do so tomorrow.Surely though any demand should have been sorted out when solucitor was dealing with the estate between Nov 2016-Aug 2017.It seems really odd to me that this should arise so late. Thanks for your comment.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,388 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Definitely speak to the solicitor - it would unusual if they finalised the estate and distributed any assets without having confirmed with DWP about potential under/over payments.
  • Keith_Shackson
    Options
    Yes I will.As I say the time that has elapsed is ridiculous and DWP also state that the have previously contacted myself and/or the solicitor who dealt with estate but received no reply.This demand is the first contact I have received from them.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes I will.As I say the time that has elapsed is ridiculous and DWP also state that the have previously contacted myself and/or the solicitor who dealt with estate but received no reply.This demand is the first contact I have received from them.

Best to ask for copies of their previous correspondence too then so you can reference them when speaking to the solicitor
  • Keith_Shackson
    Options
    OK Thanks.But surely if the DWP HAD contacted the solicitor about this then the solicitor would have contacted me.I have definitely had no contact from DWP until this demand.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Who took out the grant of administration?
  • Keith_Shackson
    Options
    Myself and my daughter were the Executors of the will.She has heard nothing from DWP either.I dont understand how after the estate was finalised in June 2017 by a solicitor a demand can be made 2yrs and 3 months later.Surely the settlement of the estate would have included DWP back in 2017.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Myself and my daughter were the Executors of the will.She has heard nothing from DWP either.I dont understand how after the estate was finalised in June 2017 by a solicitor a demand can be made 2yrs and 3 months later.Surely the settlement of the estate would have included DWP back in 2017.

If the death happened in November 16, and it was all finalised in August 17 that's rather quick.

How were any debts investigated. You say you were executors but say solicitors finalised the estate?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Keith_Shackson
    Options
    My mother named myself and my daughter as executors of her will with the solicitor she always used.The solicitor dealt with all legal procedures and in June 2017 gave clearance for inheritance of the house and dispursement of the contents of the will.Whether or not this was rather quick I'm afraid I don't know about that.I had never had to do anything like this before so I just went along with the stages as the solicitor dealt with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure