New Post Advanced Search

To exchange or not to exchange

1 reply 403 views
Poor_Princess_SarahPoor_Princess_Sarah Forumite
3 posts
Hi all,

In Jan 2020 I’m off travelling with my partner, we both have circa £9000 each saved.

We plan to do Singapore, Aus, NZ, Fiji, Thailand, Cambodia, Bali, Vietnam, South Korea, Laos... not in that order!

With our savings currently in £, saved across Nationwide’s FlexPlus regular saver and Marcus, our question now is should we change some money up pre Oct 31st and a possible £ crash?!

My partner was in the US when Brexit vote was announced, the day before the £ climbed but obviously the day of the announcement the £ tanked and his money suddenly was worth so much less. We can’t really afford for our combined £18k savings to drastically drop so much so should we be looking to change the money into another currency and if so what? Some people have recommended changing half into $ and I have a Revolut account I could do this on.

What’s the general consensus, stick or twist?

Replies

• GangaGanga Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need someone with a crystal ball to answer this,what happens if you change your sterling and the next day the £ goes thru the roof,take a card that charges no fees and not stirling.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!