How can I obtain a Credit Report for a debtor who owes me money?

dldbsl
dldbsl Posts: 55
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 18 September 2019 at 5:20PM in Credit file & ratings
Just looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction please...

Following previous advice on procedures and what documents to use I have successfully taken a builder to Court for money I am owed and obtained a CCJ. This person is very evasive and I believe use of bailiffs is unlikely to be productive. I cant see that he owns property otherwise I would look at a charging order.

Could anyone recommend somebody I can go to to obtain a credit report for the person who owes money - the idea being to identify a bank account(s) or who they bank with and enforce the debt via the County Court and freeze the account.

Im willing to pay for the service buy an internet trawl only talks about getting your own report.

As background I did report this matter to Action for Fraud months back and they greed I have been a victim of fraud but eventually dropped the case after a month as 'there were no lines of enquiry to follow up' - reading reports they seem to give up easily on tens of thousands of cases so maybe it was a mistake to report to them rather than local police.

https://www.checkmyfile.com/credit-report.htm

Comments

• You can't.

You may be able to employ a DCA with the rights to do so.

However, it won't give them the names of the institutions.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's no requirement for long held bank accounts to be reported.
  • Alexis95
    Alexis95 Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2019 at 5:22PM
    dldbsl wrote: »
    Just looking for advice or to be pointed in the right direction please...

Following previous advice on procedures and what documents to use I have successfully taken a builder to Court for money I am owed and obtained a CCJ. This person is very evasive and I believe use of bailiffs is unlikely to be productive. I cant see that he owns property otherwise I would look at a charging order.

Could anyone recommend somebody I can go to to obtain a credit report for the person who owes money - the idea being to identify a bank account(s) or who they bank with and enforce the debt via the County Court and freeze the account.

Im willing to pay for the service buy an internet trawl only talks about getting your own report.

As background I did report this matter to Action for Fraud months back and they greed I have been a victim of fraud but eventually dropped the case after a month as 'there were no lines of enquiry to follow up' - reading reports they seem to give up easily on tens of thousands of cases so maybe it was a mistake to report to them rather than local police.

As mentioned above, you can't.

And even if you could, it's too late now. The gate in unlocked and the horse has taken advantage. The time for a credit report is before you extend credit to someone, not afterwards.

How is it a builder owes you money anyhow? :huh:
    General rule of dealing with builders is to only pay them after the work is complete, and even if pushed to pay earlier, pay them no more than the materials after they have been delivered to you, and possibly stage payments for labour after each stage is completed.

But generally, not until all the work is complete.

Anyway, that advice is too late now. You lent the builder some money presumably. So presumably you had some kind of assurance he was good for it, perhaps a car or a cement mixer?

[STRIKE]If you think there is even a hope of getting your money back, or if not, just to deter him doing it again, get the CCJ first. Without that, no one will assist you.[/STRIKE]
    You presumably thought there was something to be gained, before you went to the time, trouble amd expense of securing a CCJ against the builder.

[STRIKE]If you get a CCJ,[/STRIKE] As you have a CCJ, you can apply to the court to enforce it if necessary.
    Maybe the court will order him to disclose his financial situation to them.
    Or maybe you could go for an attachment of earnings.
    Or at the very least, perhaps consider winding up or bankruptcy against him.
    If he has any assets, then a bailiff may assist, but I should warn you that they don't take tools of his trade usually, as they expect him to use them to earn you the money to repay you (if he can't repay immediately). The bailiff will usually find out his financial situation and be able to advise you further, if it does come to that.
    [STRIKE]
    But first hurdle is obtaining the CCJ, if he's not willing to resolve this out of court, perhaps through the help of a mediator.[/STRIKE]

:o - Whoops, just re-read your post and see you already have the CCJ.
    Now onto enforcement then :)
    Has the defendant informed the court how he plans to settle the judgement the court found against him?

In regards Action Fraud, they tend to accept all complaints, and only close them as they can find no evidence to support a criminal prosecution, the burdon of proof for which far exceeds any civil claim.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Some publicity may aid your cause.
  • dldbsl
    Forumite
    Whoops, just re-read your post and see you already have the CCJ.
    Now onto enforcement then :)
    Has the defendant informed the court how he plans to settle the judgement the court found against him?

In regards Action Fraud, they tend to accept all complaints, and only close them as they can find no evidence to support a criminal prosecution, the burdon of proof for which far exceeds any civil claim.[/QUOTE]

+++CCJ obtained by default - hasnt responded to anything sent to him
  • dldbsl
    Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Some publicity may aid your cause.

yep done this all over FB
  • dldbsl
    Forumite
    whats DCA plz?
  • Debt Collection Agency.

But you’ll need to pay for their services.
  • dldbsl
    Forumite
    already used one to locate him so that i could get ccj
    they say its another 35 +vat for an employment report - but its really bank that i need
  • Bank report?
    What information are you looking for?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family