McAfee

Options
I know I should have been more on the ball about this, but I recently bought a new laptop from Curry's. It was a budget make, but the man selling it persuaded me to pay £99 extra for a year's subscription to McAfee and the Office package.

Now I had assumed it was all set up through my e-mail address or something, but now I am receiving e-mails saying my "free trial with McAfee is about to run out" and to renew it, i.e. pay more.

Short of going back to Curry's and showing them my receipt which does have something about McAfee on it, is there a simple way for me to find out if I did purchase a year's protection?
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• pollyanna24
    Options
    The receipt says:-

MCA FAMBUNDLE ON 2019

MICROSOFT O365HOME1 9 1 6GQ

MCAFEE LIVESAFE PRE2018
    Thank you for buying this card. For help see the reverse of this card.

Should I received a card with a code in order to set up the antivirus?
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you've no license key I would go back to Currys and ask them for one - although I appreciate it's your last resort. Is your copy of Office licensed correctly (i.e. not on a trial period) ?

You could try https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp - did you create an account with them? That's where I'd expect to find subscription information.

FYI - You can get both of those software packages much cheaper than £99 per year; not much help now I appreciate that but maybe come renewal time :)
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    ndf9876 wrote: »
    If you've no license key I would go back to Currys and ask them for one - although I appreciate it's your last resort. Is your copy of Office licensed correctly (i.e. not on a trial period) ?

You could try https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp - did you create an account with them? That's where I'd expect to find subscription information.

FYI - You can get both of those software packages much cheaper than £99 per year; not much help now I appreciate that but maybe come renewal time :)

Yeah, I don't think I'd do it again. And would be more on the ball. I don't even use Office. I use Open Office and have thought about swapping all my spreadsheets over, but mneh, I'm happy with what I've got.

It's something I need to look into when I'm at home and actually on my laptop. Just wondered if I'd been conned somehow.
  • pollyanna24
    Options
    Also on the receipt next to the McAfee stuff is a card number. Would this be the licence key?
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    Also on the receipt next to the McAfee stuff is a card number. Would this be the licence key?

The product key is likely within this;
    MCAFEE LIVESAFE PRE2018
    Thank you for buying this card. For help see the reverse of this card.

Personally I would take it back for a full refund since you haven't opened it.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Personally I would never have McAfee on any device. It never was, never is and never will be worth any amount of money and there are much better AV's than that. As for Office 365: your Open Office will cope with anything that can do, unless you are running a business. Even then, OO can view and convert Ms. Office doc's, spreadsheets, databases, drawings and presentations. Providing the OO installation is set up to include that facility.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family