Forum Home» Employment, Jobseeking & Training

Deducted 3 days salary over the year

New Post Advanced Search

Deducted 3 days salary over the year

17 replies 1.1K views
MisterKMisterK Forumite
8 posts
Hi All, i have worked for the same company for over 20 years on Salary. the company said that they wanted to change my salary pay date from 27th of the month to 24th of the month, (3 days early). as a result, they have deducted 3 days pay from my annual salary to be spread across 12 months, so effectively this year, every month i lose 1/12th of the 3 days salary.
My issue with this, is that every month of every year i have received 1/12th of my annual salary, but for this year i will not receive my full annual salary... it will be 3 days short. this 3 days lost salary will only be regained on the day that i leave this company, be that next year or in 20 years time. Bottom line for me is that this year, i lose 3 days pay from my annual salary which i'll never really see again. Thoughts please everyone...
«1

Replies

  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MisterK wrote: »
    Hi All, i have worked for the same company for over 20 years on Salary. the company said that they wanted to change my salary pay date from 27th of the month to 24th of the month, (3 days early). as a result, they have deducted 3 days pay from my annual salary to be spread across 12 months, so effectively this year, every month i lose 1/12th of the 3 days salary.
    My issue with this, is that every month of every year i have received 1/12th of my annual salary, but for this year i will not receive my full annual salary... it will be 3 days short. this 3 days lost salary will only be regained on the day that i leave this company, be that next year or in 20 years time. Bottom line for me is that this year, i lose 3 days pay from my annual salary which i'll never really see again. Thoughts please everyone...

    You also have three days less cost so it averages it out. I don't think you are actually losing out but someone may disagree
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • ReadingTimReadingTim Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You also have three days less cost so it averages it out. I don't think you are actually losing out but someone may disagree

    Exactly - next year begins 3 days early so you're not losing out.

    And really, how much are we talking about here? 3 days pay from an annual salary - dunno how much you're on, but I can't imagine it's more than a few rounds of drinks in a pub - a meal out at best...
  • How do i have less cost? my bills all go out at the same time of the month as before, everything still costs as much as it always did for the year, there are still the same amount of days in the year, yet i lose 3 days worth of pay from my 12 months salary this year and never really get it back. Next year, after i've finished these monthly reduced payments, my wage will be back to full annual salary, and last year my wage was at full annual salary, but this year my salary will be 3 days short.
  • i don't think the amount is the point.... more that for this year, i'm 3 days worse off than i was last year of next year.
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Exactly - next year begins 3 days early so you're not losing out.

    And really, how much are we talking about here? 3 days pay from an annual salary - dunno how much you're on, but I can't imagine it's more than a few rounds of drinks in a pub - a meal out at best...

    Even at NMW that would be £185.

    I don't see why there should be a reduction any way. If the OP is paid monthly, an annual salary, they are just paying earlier, he/she is not working any less in the year.
  • Even at NMW that would be £185.

    I don't see why there should be a reduction any way. If the OP is paid monthly, an annual salary, they are just paying earlier, he/she is not working any less in the year.

    This is my point, i understand that there has been a 3 day shift, but in real terms all i see is a salary reduction this year compared to all the years i have worked here or am likely to work here.... the only time i'll get paid back is when i leave the company 3 days earlier than i would have done before the payroll shift.
  • But next year will come 3 days earlier won't it? i.e. assuming started last month August 28th 2019 - August 24th 2020. Plus you will get money earlier each month so can benefit from it earlier. Whilst it would have been nice if they hadn't recouped the 3 days especially as the admin costs mya outweigh the salary costs not something to complain about imho!
  • General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    cr1mson wrote: »
    But next year will come 3 days earlier won't it? i.e. assuming started last month August 28th 2019 - August 24th 2020. Plus you will get money earlier each month so can benefit from it earlier. Whilst it would have been nice if they hadn't recouped the 3 days especially as the admin costs mya outweigh the salary costs not something to complain about imho!

    In my experience annual salaries, paid on a monthly basis, relate to calendar months (how ever many days in the month) and don't start at some point during the course of the month.

    Seems to be only the OP and me who are looking at it in this way.
  • Carrot007Carrot007 Forumite
    3.3K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my experience annual salaries, paid on a monthly basis, relate to calendar months (how ever many days in the month) and don't start at some point during the course of the month.

    Seems to be only the OP and me who are looking at it in this way.


    Both way happen and are reasonable.


    I would think OP has it the other way, hence their moan.


    Which really is piontless.


    OP, if you have issues with payments then move them. Most people have them opn the 1st anyway so you would not be affected.


    Having them on payday is a crash waitign to happen.
  • comeandgocomeandgo Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=MisterK;76285924.....it_will_be_3_days_short._this_3_days_lost_salary_will_only_be_regained_on_the_day_that_i_leave_this_company,_be_that_next_year_or_in_20_years_time._Bottom_line_for_me_is_that_this_year,_i_lose_3_days_pay_from_my_annual_salary_which_i'll_never_really_see_again._Thoughts_please_everyone...[/QUOTE]

    So you will be working an extra 3 days in hand. I think your employer is very gracious in allowing these three days to be deducted over a time period rather than all on the same month. You get the owed days in your final salary.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support