Which is best for me?

Hi all.

So I've recently graduated from university and I am about to start a new job.

This will be my first job ever and - this might sound embarrassing - but I'm not sure which banking account type would be best for me

I'm trying to comprehend the difference between savings account and current ones but I'm still unsure.

I'm going to be earning around £28,000 - 30,000 a year. I only will be spending maybe around £200 a month including a gym membership and travel via the tube. I want to save the rest and hope to save up for a deposit for a flat/house.

My priority is going to be saving up for a house or flat so I don't think I'll be exceeding my monthly spend or even thinking about going in debt. Furthermore, my parents have agreed to lend me around £10,000 to get me started.

Can someone please advise me on the best route?

Comments

• You should open a current account, so that you get the full range of everyday banking facilities (for receiving your salary, to pay Direct Debits and Standing Orders etc).

Have a look at Natwest or RBS Reward accounts and also Santander 123 Lite account. I suggest these three as they pay you cashback rewards for selected bill payments

Edit: And welcome to the forum :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • dbx2712 wrote: »
    Hi all.

So I've recently graduated from university and I am about to start a new job.

This will be my first job ever and - this might sound embarrassing - but I'm not sure which banking account type would be best for me

I'm trying to comprehend the difference between savings account and current ones but I'm still unsure.

I'm going to be earning around £28,000 - 30,000 a year. I only will be spending maybe around £200 a month including a gym membership and travel via the tube. I want to save the rest and hope to save up for a deposit for a flat/house.

My priority is going to be saving up for a house or flat so I don't think I'll be exceeding my monthly spend or even thinking about going in debt. Furthermore, my parents have agreed to lend me around £10,000 to get me started.

Can someone please advise me on the best route?

Do you not have an existing banking relationship from your student days?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,010
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

Surely you had a current account while at university?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    dbx2712 wrote: »
    I want to save the rest and hope to save up for a deposit for a flat/house.
    Regardless of what else you do regarding savings and day-to-day banking, look at Help To Buy ISA or Lifetime ISA for saving for your first property, assisted by a 25% government bonus....

Plus a more generic guide at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account/
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    I only will be spending maybe around £200 a month including a gym membership and travel via the tube.

No food, vehicles, going out, phone, clothes, insurance, medical...
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,022
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    No food, vehicles, going out, phone, clothes, insurance, medical...

If you are living at home you should be giving your parents the cost of your keep - they have probably subsidised you during your studies. £100 a week would be fair.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport