New Post Advanced Search

What can I reclaim?

4 replies 2.6K views
NikkiH2504NikkiH2504 Forumite
6 posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm reclaiming bank charges on behalf of my husbands nan but it's been a while since I reclaimed mine and I'm struggling to remember what I can reclaim.

I've got a breakdown of all charges.

Obviously. I know I can reclaim Unplanned Overdraft Fees but can I also reclaim the Overdraft Usage Fee and Overdraft Interest?

Thank you in advance for the help :)

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    29.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't reclaim any, but if she is in current hardship, she can ask them what support they can offer her.
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm reclaiming bank charges on behalf of my husbands nan but it's been a while since I reclaimed mine and I'm struggling to remember what I can reclaim.

The banks won the court case on unfair bank charges in 2009. Since then, neither the banks or the FOS will take on complaints on that basis.
    Obviously. I know I can reclaim Unplanned Overdraft Fees but can I also reclaim the Overdraft Usage Fee and Overdraft Interest?
    Where are you getting your information from? There is no obvious about it.

Banks only consider CURRENT financial hardship cases and even then that doesnt mean any charges are refunded. The options they have available to them are to suspend future charges for a period, place the person on a debt management plan or refund some recent charges (usually those in the last 12 months. They only go back further in extreme cases).
  • NikkiH2504NikkiH2504 Forumite
    6 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I forgot about the court case but have seen online that you can still reclaim bank charges and have read the main pages on money saving expert..

The reclaim is based on current financial hardship and she already has a debt management plan in place which she has had for over 10 years.

Can I try to reclaim interest fees and usage fees alongside the unplanned overdraft fees for a hardship claim?
  • SonOfSonOf Forumite
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about the court case but have seen online that you can still reclaim bank charges and have read the main pages on money saving expert..

Only in current financial hardship cases.
    The reclaim is based on current financial hardship and she already has a debt management plan in place which she has had for over 10 years.

The bank may argue that the debt management plan is part of a process to get her out of debt. Especially if an amount was written off as part of the agreed process. However, unless you ask, you do not get.
    Can I try to reclaim interest fees and usage fees alongside the unplanned overdraft fees for a hardship claim?

It is very rare to get any interest back. And in most cases, where a bank does refund charges, it tends to be the last 3-12 months.

It will be the bank that decides what action it takes. They will arrange a telephone interview with her so she can explain her hardship. e.g. what bills she is in arrears with. Any utilities she cant pay etc. They will also look at her spending habits to verify that she is living on or below the breadline. After that, they will decide what they will offer.