Another green day in Lincolnshire :) :) :)

Morning all,

Having charged the battery for my electric bicycle yesterday using solar power while the sun was out, I'm about to go out and collect some windfall apples to make blackberry and apple jam. I'm aiming to get back while the sun's still out so I can use more solar power for the electric hob to make the jam.

All this is on the back of using my similarly solar powered electric cement mixer to mix sand and cement for backfilling round my rainwater harvesting tank earlier in the week.

And last weekend I used my solar powered dehydrator to preserve some of this years glut of runner beans - be interesting to see how that experiment goes.

Does life get any greener than this? What green things are you doing today to make the most of the September sunshine?

Comments

• 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I’m making a concerted effort to keep personal CO2 emissions as low as possible today. Watching cricket & the GP shouldn’t create any excessive respiration & the TV will be running on sunshine.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    mmmmikey wrote: »
    Morning all,

Having charged the battery for my electric bicycle yesterday using solar power while the sun was out, I'm about to go out and collect some windfall apples to make blackberry and apple jam. I'm aiming to get back while the sun's still out so I can use more solar power for the electric hob to make the jam.

All this is on the back of using my similarly solar powered electric cement mixer to mix sand and cement for backfilling round my rainwater harvesting tank earlier in the week.

And last weekend I used my solar powered dehydrator to preserve some of this years glut of runner beans - be interesting to see how that experiment goes.

Does life get any greener than this? What green things are you doing today to make the most of the September sunshine?

Are you sure you will get enough co2 benefit from the mixer and dehydrator to make up for the embedded co2 in the manufacture?
    I think....
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    On Friday, OH & I drove to Leicester for the day picking up some friends for part of the journey. 'Fuel' for the 119mile journey cost me fractionally over 2p/mile. Yesterday we drove down to Nottingham to see our son; similar sort of fuel cost.

Today, I'm being even greener : I'm staying home.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2019 at 12:50PM
    Couldn’t get much greener than us yellowbellies. Been for a 7 mile walk followed by a sit down in the summerhouse followed by sandwiches so all my generation is going to charge somebody else’s electric car or cook their dinner.:A
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Meanwhile... over here in not so sunny Belfast I will be using todays solar energy to make a cup of tea and some toast...

and maybe another cup of tea later ;-)
  • mmmmikey
    mmmmikey Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good to see that there is some hope for humanity.....

Hang on in there, 1961Nick, your selfless act of planet saving charity hasn't gone unnoticed :)

Eric / Ken / Joe - Greta would be proud of you (or is one of you really Greta?)

Michael - you do make a fair point about whole lifecycle carbon emissions and from a CO2 perspective I'm feeling suitably chastised. Having said that, the dehydrator was purchased as part of a different green initiative of mine, with the aim of preserving nature for future generations to enjoy. With that in mind, I am dehydrating a couple of squirrels as I type this.....
  • Couldn't you just freeze them like most of us normal people?
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Walked 1 hour to Lidl, shopped and walked an hour back. Meanwhile did three loads of washing, lunch and the dishwasher (guests just left) with all but 1kWh from own generation.:beer:
  • pinnks wrote: »
    Walked 1 hour to Lidl, shopped and walked an hour back. Meanwhile did three loads of washing, lunch and the dishwasher (guests just left) with all but 1kWh from own generation.:beer:
    That distance I'd cycle! If it stops raining here I'll be cycling into town for the market tomorrow - 2.6 miles, which I can fast walk in 45/50 minutes if I'm pub bound.:D
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    To be honest so would I normally but felt like a walk and that gave us a place to aim at. Shopping went in a backpack but still quite heavy by the time we got home. 6 miles in all...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure