New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Redundancy advice needed

2 replies 1.4K views
barrymungbarrymung Forumite
638 posts
On behalf of a friend..

They were made redundant end of November but we're told the company did not have funds to pay redundancy until the company building was sold.

Despite having a firm offer for the asking price the company have been holding out for a better offer, which has been verbally made but hasn't progressed.

I'm conscious that redundancy payments should be made within six months of redundancy. The company haven't paid up yet but promise to pay once the building is sold, but keep procrastinating on the sale.

My friend is obviously annoyed so I have three questions;

1. What should their next move be?

2. Is there a time limit at which the responsibility of the employer to pay redundancy expires?

3. Can the employees claim interest, expenses and compensation as it has been over six months?

Gut feeling is that they are trying to get out of paying.

Replies

• MasomniaMasomnia Forumite
    19.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As in November last year? Hope it is your friend and not you as it looks like they've missed the boat. They should call ACAS to check as it may depend on dates, contractual notice and so on but I'm not hopeful.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • abz88abz88 Forumite
    287 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Masomnia wrote: »
    As in November last year? Hope it is your friend and not you as it looks like they've missed the boat. They should call ACAS to check as it may depend on dates, contractual notice and so on but I'm not hopeful.

Agree with calling ACAS, as far as I am aware the only reason an employer can put off paying redundancy is if they are insolvent. If this is the case then your friend needs to call the Insolvency Service redundancy payments helpline.

Contact info is on the below gov.uk site
    https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-payments-helpline