FAIL: MSE Cheap Energy Club & British Gas

Options
* Currently with EDF

* Have British Gas HomeCare until end of October

* You know what I'm going to say right?

* Got my latest quotes from MSE Cheap Energy Club, and wow
British Gas looks good, quote from MSE page: "Important: Homeowners get 'free' central heating, plumbing, drains and home electrical cover for 12 months with this deal."

* Boom - I switched. Emails not long after, all in progress, relax.

* Oh dear, letter in post few days later from British Gas: "You recently signed up for one of our energy tariffs online, which comes with HomeCare cover at no extra cost. As you're already an existing HomeCare customer with us, you're not eligible for the new cover that comes with your tariff."

* :mad:

* My plan was, obviously, to not renew my existing cover when it ended in a couple of months.

* So now I still have to renew it, meaning the 'Money Saving' I thought I was going to get has vanished.

* The MSE Energy Club webpage DOES NOT state anywhere in the terms that the above would happen. Therefore I feel the British Gas offer has been mis-represented by MSE - a rare FAIL.

* As I chose this "MSE Top Picks" tariffs solely on the basis of the free HomeCare cover, I am very disappointed. Yes I know I could cancel the transfer - but who can be bothered to do that once it's in progress?

* This is my first post in the forums for over 10 years! That's how annoyed I am. Is Martin still around these days? I dunno...

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <As you're already an existing HomeCare customer with us, you're not eligible for the new cover that comes with your tariff.">

Yes thats been posted this week by another user.
    Please contact the CEC with your complaint .
  • DawnCrush
    Options
    * Currently with EDF

* Have British Gas HomeCare until end of October

* You know what I'm going to say right?

* Got my latest quotes from MSE Cheap Energy Club, and wow
    British Gas looks good, quote from MSE page: "Important: Homeowners get 'free' central heating, plumbing, drains and home electrical cover for 12 months with this deal."

* Boom - I switched. Emails not long after, all in progress, relax.

* Oh dear, letter in post few days later from British Gas: "You recently signed up for one of our energy tariffs online, which comes with HomeCare cover at no extra cost. As you're already an existing HomeCare customer with us, you're not eligible for the new cover that comes with your tariff."

* :mad:

* My plan was, obviously, to not renew my existing cover when it ended in a couple of months.

* So now I still have to renew it, meaning the 'Money Saving' I thought I was going to get has vanished.

* The MSE Energy Club webpage DOES NOT state anywhere in the terms that the above would happen. Therefore I feel the British Gas offer has been mis-represented by MSE - a rare FAIL.

* As I chose this "MSE Top Picks" tariffs solely on the basis of the free HomeCare cover, I am very disappointed. Yes I know I could cancel the transfer - but who can be bothered to do that once it's in progress?

* This is my first post in the forums for over 10 years! That's how annoyed I am. Is Martin still around these days? I dunno...

When you applied, you confirmed the following:
    By selecting 'Proceed to switch' you are agreeing to British Gas terms and conditions with an obligation to pay for your energy.
    The terms & conditions clearly state at the beginning:
    I agree and accept the following:
    ✓ I own the home that I am taking the tariff out on and have a gas boiler and controls that are in good working order
    ✓ I will manage my account totally online
    ✓ I have read and accept the HomeCare Terms & Conditions (copied below)

✓ I have read and accept the Insurance Disclosure Document (copied below)
    ✓ I understand this tariff is not available to customers who have an existing Services agreement (including HomeCare, Plumbing & Drains cover, Gas Appliance Cover and Kitchen Appliance Cover), though is available if you previously took a tariff with a services element. If you have an existing Services agreement and choose to take the Energy Plus Protection Green Sep 2020v2 tariff we will not set up any of the cover products. The terms of this energy tariff will continue to apply for each fuel on this tariff.

✓ I understand I will have two Direct Debits, one for my energy tariff and one for my services contract. The Direct Debit for my services contract will start after 12 months as this is an introductory offer

(my highligthing in red)
  • Juno_Moneta
    Options
    Such an important point could be clearly brought to peoples attention with just one extra sentence on the hook page, in addition to being part of the 8 page terms and conditions .pdf file.

Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport