New Post Advanced Search

ATM didn’t dispense money and bank won’t return money either

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
39 replies 2.7K views
HellohoneyHellohoney Forumite
2 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Hello.
I’m new here so I apologise if this isn’t the right category but I hope someone can help me.
2 weeks ago my husband used his HSBC bank card at the atm however the atm didn’t dispense any money. He then tried a different machine and it worked. However, on checking his online banking he saw that the money had been debited from his account.
He called his back straight away and they said that they would investigate and it would take up to 28 working days. Last week, they put the money back into his account however yesterday they randomly they reversed it again? My husband has spoken to them again and all they have said is that they are still investigating and they cannot tell him why they first deposited the money and then reversed it? It’s all very strange and he cannot get a proper answer from anyone.
Has anyone been through this and can anyone advise us on what to do next? It’s very frustrating as it’s coming up to three weeks now and it seems the bank don’t really want to help.
Thank you.

Replies

• 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Annoying I know, but i would wait the specified 28 days and if not resolved call them and ask to make a formal complaint
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, just to clarify things 100%. There are 2 ATM withdrawals showing on the account and HSBC credited and then redebited the first of the two.

If this is correct, then your husband is in the same position as countless others who claim to have experienced an ATM mis-dispense over the years. They do happen and the bank will investigate. There is no point telling us about the 'random' redebiting of the alleged mis-dispense because no one here can tell you for sure why that happened - if it did. The obvious thing would be for your husband to ask HSBC to re-credit the amount pending the result of the investigation - did he not do this?

HSBC will check the ATM log to see whether it 'balances' at the end of the day. If it does, there was no mis-dispense and your husband will probably have no joy. If the logs show an imbalance between the dispensed amounts and the amount that should be left in the machine then your husband will probably get the amount re-credited. End of.

Sometimes people forget to take the cash when it is dispensed and walk away only to later realise that they didn't get anything. If the cash is not taken within a few seconds, it will be 'sucked' back into the ATM and the transaction will be reversed. If someone in the queue behind is dishonest and takes the cash quickly, it will show as having been correctly dispensed and only CCTV would evidence this. If that does happen, it still can't be proven that the person taking the cash wasn't in cahoots with the 'genuine' card user.

So, this happened two weeks ago but somehow it is coming up to three weeks since it happened (?) but you have been advised to allow four weeks for the investigation to finish. That's all you can do.
  • I'm with NatWest, however when I withdrew £100 one day and it only gave me £10, they were very quick to re-credit me within only two days, plus after the 28 days, I had no issues as the OP stated they had above either.
  • edited 31 August 2019 at 8:25PM
    Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 August 2019 at 8:25PM
    I'm with NatWest, however when I withdrew £100 one day and it only gave me £10, they were very quick to re-credit me within only two days, plus after the 28 days, I had no issues as the OP stated they had above either.

Thanks for that. Interesting that you and Hellohoney should join the forum on the same day within a couple of hours of each other!
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

if you think that's interesting read his other post.

Read
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

• Robin9Robin9 Forumite
    6.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

if you think that's interesting read his other post.

Read

The one about the suitcase containing £680,000 that burst into flames ....................

Has MSE deleted it ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • frugalmacdugalfrugalmacdugal Forumite
    7.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

aye, that's the one, seems to be removed now, wonder if he will get his money back from Santander or have to go to Ombudsman?
    Y'all take care now.
    happy0207.gif

2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish people would stop deleting the more outlandish and amusing threads before we've had the chance to read them! Looking at Melted Diamond's profile, they have one thread to their name (which doesn't exist) so I am assuming it was from them.
  • Thank you for the replies (even the ridiculous ones). So this morning the bank have contacted my husband to say the following - “Forwarded from HSBC:
    We reviewed the cash withdrawal you asked about. We didn't find any errors, so we'll remove the refund from your account ending in **** in the next 10 days”.
    Can someone please advise me on what to do next? Funnily enough they’ve already removed the refund.
    No money was dispensed, my husband waited for a few mins. Can he ask them to review CCTV? I’m not really sure where we go from here now.
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can ask. Good luck.