Advice with light rose with 6 wires

alvaronistal
alvaronistal Posts: 31 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Car Insurance Carver!
Hi there,
I'm a complete newbie doing DIY at our home, and I've done some minor electrics stuff like changing light wirings and plugs, but I've never come across a 6-wire configuration.
The new light fixture (Ikea's) requires me to remove the existing rose completely and only has a live and neutral connection, no earth or anything else. Am I right thinking that I should use the yellow for live, the black and brown together for neutral and put the two red ones together?
Here's a photo of the rose.
Thanks!

Olz5bGX.jpg
Nationwide Mortgage (FTB & 85% LTV)

Timeline:
Application submitted 8/10
Valuation scheduled on 10/10 for 19/10
Valuation re-scheduled on 19/10 for 26/10
Hard Credit Check (Credit Karma) 21/10
Valuation 26/10
Valuation approved 26/10
Mortgage offer issued 27/10

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Almost right. Black and Blue, neutral and your tagged wire looks like the switch.

Check and confirm with a test meter first. Isolate at the consumer unit before undertaking the work and check the circuit is dead.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Can't see the photo unfortunately, it's impossible to give a safe and accurate answer without it.

Generally though, my preference would be to replicate the original rose configuration using a maintenance free junction box and terminals (e.g. wagos) that can be pushed back up into the ceiling, then run a single cable from the live/neutral/earth terminals in the box down to the light, rather than trying to stuff all of the wires into the light fitting itself.
  • ohreally wrote: »
    Almost right. Black and Blue, neutral and your tagged wire looks like the switch.

Check and confirm with a test meter first. Isolate at the consumer unit before undertaking the work and check the circuit is dead.

Sorry, I meant black and blue, not brown! So:
    - Black & Blue to neutral.
    - Yellow to live (I don't know what switch means?)
    - Both reds into a terminal.
    - Both ends of earth into a terminal.

PS: I'm being safe and doing it all with the circuit dead and with a meter :)
    Can't see the photo unfortunately, it's impossible to give a safe and accurate answer without it.

Generally though, my preference would be to replicate the original rose configuration using a maintenance free junction box and terminals (e.g. wagos) that can be pushed back up into the ceiling, then run a single cable from the live/neutral/earth terminals in the box down to the light, rather than trying to stuff all of the wires into the light fitting itself.

I updated the source of the image so you can have a look!
    Nationwide Mortgage (FTB & 85% LTV)

Timeline:
    Application submitted 8/10
    Valuation scheduled on 10/10 for 19/10
    Valuation re-scheduled on 19/10 for 26/10
    Hard Credit Check (Credit Karma) 21/10
    Valuation 26/10
    Valuation approved 26/10
    Mortgage offer issued 27/10
  • Two on the left (black and blue) are neutral, two reds in middle are the permanent live/loop and what appears to be a yellow wire with red sleeve will be the switched live. The yellow/green is earth. The old fitting should have been connected to the left and right terminals.

I would still do as I suggested in my previous post rather than trying to stuff the wires in the light fitting.

If you’re not sure about this you might be best getting an electrician in who will be able to complete the work safely and test it. The fact you don’t know what is meant by switch live would suggest you may not competent to do this work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure