Solarplicity - Possible Fraudulent Billing?

So, I'm one of the lucky souls who got an email out of the blue telling me that my account had been purchased by Toto and that, like it or not, I was transferring to them.
As it was, I'd been having increasing issues with Solarplicity, including them tripling my DD payment because of how much they claimed I owed them, so I wasn't too upset. I was just a little annoyed that Solarplicity hadn't written to advise me of the change, instead I had been advised by Toto after the fact.
However, having been a customer of GB energy when they went bust I was glad to be ahead of the curve this time, to be honest.

Toto have said several times that both credit and debt balances will be brought over, it's in their FAQ and in the emails that I have received from them.
So, I queried with Toto how big the balance being transferred from Solarplicity was at the time of the move as Solarplicity appeared to have added around £200 to my bill in spurious "unstatemented invoices" around the point of the switch over.
Toto said they'd get back to me as they were (understandably) a bit busy bringing in so many accounts all at once.
By my own (fairly rough) calculations the balance to transfer should have been around £165 but Solarplicity were claiming I owed nearer £400 (including the spurious £200). I was unhappy that Solarplicity had botched my account reviews so badly that I'd ended up owing so much but happy to pay if it was shown that I had actually used it (which I'm not convinced I have).

Now, given that Toto have said that debt balances will be brought over, that Solarplicity have ceased trading as of August 17 2019 and that Solarplicity's online portal/dashboard is currently inaccessible, I was somewhat surprised to receive a "Final Statement" from Solarplicity dated 23rd August in an email titled "New Online Bill" this morning.
They are claiming that I have to pay £400 to settle my account and that I have to do this within 14 days or they will pass it to a debt collection agency. In the email and the statement it is repeated several times that I can't contact Solarplicity and that I should contact my new supplier if I have any issues or queries.

I have no intention of paying this twice and I'm pretty sure that this is a last-ditch cash grab by Solarplicity, not even the administrators since I can't even find who has been appointed yet, if anyone.
So, first off, I made sure that the DD to Solarplicity was cancelled at my end. That way they can't simply try to dip into my bank account for it.
Secondly, I emailed Toto and requested that they supply me with a statement of balance - i.e. what they expect me to pay. That way, if I do get anything referred to a collection agency, I will have documented proof of what was owed (and paid) to who.
And if it turns out that Toto have not taken on the debt balance then I will dispute the amount with the official administrators.

EDF have stated that they will not be transferring debt balances from Solarplicity, so I understand customers who have been transferred there under SoLR getting this kind of email, but Toto have specifically said in several parts of their FAQ (totoenergy.com/solarplicity-customers#faq001 totoenergy.com/solarplicity-customers#faq7) and in their emails that they will be transferring both credit and debt balances.

I feel this is a last-ditch fraudulent, slimy cash grab by Solarplicity before the adminstrators come in and try their own slimy cash grabs. For now, I will not be paying anyone but Toto until I have it in writing from Toto that they have not transferred my balance from Solarplicity.

Comments

• So, it would seem that it is/was just a nasty, slimy, last-ditch cash grab on the part of Solarplicity, trying to fleece their former customers into paying twice.

Toto have sent out an email telling customers in no uncertain terms not to pay anything to Solarplicity.

These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Actually, since they've not paid tax for the last however-long and are now trying to fraudulently bill their former customers, they should be in prison.
  • Superscrooge
    Superscrooge Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm in the same position. When Solarplicity collapsed. My energy supply was transferred to TOTO.

TOTO stated the balance whether in credit or debt would be transferred to them. So I was surprised today to receive a 'final bill' from Solarplicity containing the below threats...........

You are receiving this bill because you have either switched away from Solarplicity to another supplier, or have left us to join TOTO Energy or EDF Energy.
    You must pay this bill even though Solarplicity no longer supply your energy. If you do not pay this bill within fourteen days, we will ask our debt collection agency to collect what is owing. This may cost you more and may affect your personal credit rating and your ability to get credit in the future

TOTO have now sent the following email

This is a short but very important message.
    Today you have received your final statement from Solarplicity.
    In it there are instructions to pay Solarplicity or they will pass your information to debt collectors.
    This is entirely incorrect.
    We, TOTO, are your new supplier, and your closing account position with Solarplicity is your opening account position with us.
    We received meter reads from almost all of you, we really appreciate it, and we hope it will make the final part of your transition to us go as smoothly as possible.
    But you must ignore the instructions to pay Solarplicity and wait until next week for your account statement from us.
    If you disagree with your final balance, we want to hear from you but as your energy supplier we can 100% reassure you that you only need make payments to us from now on.
    If you have any questions please call us on 0333 210 7070
    Thank you, from everyone at TOTO!

Tom Nicholas
    Operations Director

It appears Solarplicity are trying to intimidate former customers into paying money they do not owe
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Are the Serious Fraud Office involved in Solarplicity yet?

It's gone beyond fines, surely. Someone should be going to prison, shouldn't they?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure