Credit card debt following death

Options
My Mother lost her long battle with heart and renal failure last Sunday. She was a pensioner on pension credit and attendance allowance. She had no savings as what there was used to supplement her care. She has an outstanding debt on a credit card of just over £5k, from a money transfer she took out some time ago. There is no property and no assets of any value in her home, just her personal effects and furniture which will go to charity as it is not worth anything but might help others who don't have anything, which I think is better than just throwing it all away.

I assume I need to contact the card issuer in writing (I can't face ringing) advising of the situation and include a copy of the death certificate. Am I correct that this is all I need to do and also that they can't come onto me for the outstanding debt?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some card providers have bereavement teams to call but if thats not what you want to do then do as you suggest and write. Is there no life insurance in place.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No life insurance or anything else. I am applying for a funeral grant from the DWP as I am on UC and her carer, so I should at least get most of the funeral costs sorted.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make sure you make it clear there are no funds even to pay for the funeral.

And meant to say in first post that they can't pursue you personally for the debt.
  • Simon7685
    Simon7685 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks BoGoF
    I thought that was the case but it is always good to check. I would ring them but I just don't want the hassle at the moment. I have got enough on my plate as it is trying to sort everything else out, so a quick letter is easy enough to do without getting 20 questions thrown at me by a CC company, that will want to try and get blood out of a stone.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    If the card is issued by a high street bank go and make an appointment with them to meet the bereavement officer who will take your details and sort it for you.
  • knightfox
    Options
    I am really sorry of your loss.

If you havent already done so. You need to write a letter explaining that there is no money left in the estate for any expenses to the companies involved. All the major financial teams have bereavement sections who can help you through this difficult time.

They cant come after you or anyone unless its a joint liability.

Credit cards are single liability and if there is no money there, then they cant chase you. As long as the executor informs them of what has happened.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Options
    I have no idea regarding you question but long with Knightfox I'd like to offer my sincere condolences.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure