Amount of creditors

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
3 replies 808 views
brokemummy123brokemummy123 Forumite
20 Posts
First Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Bankruptcy & Living With It
Hello,

Just a quick question. Is there any advantage to having fewer creditors rather than spreading out over more?

I currently owe £27,000 to Barclays, MBNA and Next but have credit room with Virgin and Lloyd’s.
When I apply for bankruptcy and come out the other end of the 6 years are they likely to refuse to come near me again? If so, is it better to minimise the risk by keeping the debt with fewer creditors?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ask yourself what you would do as a lender and someone wanted to borrow again after being previously made bankrupt.....

As MBNA is now owned by Lloyds banking group it does not really make any difference with regards those 2 cards.
  • I've heard plenty of stories of discharged bankrupts opening bank accounts, getting loans, mortgages etc with people who were included on their bankruptcy. Of course, some companies may have a blacklist, but there are always others to choose from. I think your post-bankruptcy finances and credit record are more important.
  • edited 30 August 2019 at 10:16PM
    debt_doctordebt_doctor Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 August 2019 at 10:16PM
    Hi,

There is no advantage to you from your suggestion. The information about your BR will be on all of your credit files for 6 years, not just available to those you borrowed from.
    High interest credit (usually cap one, aqua, Luma, etc) will become available to you about 2 years past discharge from BR. If you use these successfully (pay in full each month to avoid interest) then the next worse card will be yours, and so on.

Obviously, getting back in to a lot of credit needs to be seriously thought about, but mending your credit rating to get a mobile phone contract or a DFS sofa might be perfectly reasonable.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals