MakeMKV

in Techie Stuff
4 replies 452 views
JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
6.7K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
For anyone who uses this program, i often wonder - how do you decide which option to select when ripping?

Most of the time there is only 1 selection that needs picking and it's pretty obvious - it's the one that's approx 20-30GB on a blu-ray and there's only one.

Other times there'll be some discs that have say 30GB 1 chapter and 30GB 18 chapters, so again it's pretty obvious.

Then you get some discs that are just a case of what on earth is that....

t6zEN8C.jpg

In these cases i select them all and then see is there's an issue with any of the files but i wondered if there was an easier way?
I remember one disc i had that was a Harry Potter disc. It was similar to the above although not quite as bad. I selected all options and then in WMP i randomly skipped through to whittle out the rips i didn't need.

Most were the actors talking about the scenes so i deleted those. I then got it down to 2 files which appeared to both be of the film. Luckily as i was skipping, one of the rips had about a 5-10 second window which had a notice plastered on the screen before cutting back to the actual film. Having seen that i was able to delete it and keep the remaining file. If i hadn't landed on that part when randomly skipping through i could've deleted the wrong file in error.

Replies

• Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A lot of them will be fake titles designed to confuse MakeMKV and friends.
    Depending on the disc contents there may be a load of "fake playlists" too, in which either the movie is jumbled up or shows a copyright message or similar.

Easiest solution is to play it in VLC, then you can look at the Video menu to see which video track it is playing which may narrow it down to find out the right order.

Or alternatively:
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7680
  • JustAnotherSaverJustAnotherSaver Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    or shows a copyright message or similar.
    Yeah that's the one i had with one of the Harry Potter's.

I do skim through every rip i do using either WMP or VLC (whichever i feel like at the time) but that's all it is - random skipping, clicking at numerous parts along the video file, back again, forward again using fairly small spacing - as it's just not doable to fully test out the video file. Can you imagine - 5 video files, each over 2 hours in length and i need to find the 1 good one amongst 4 duds?

This is becoming a time consuming hobby :rotfl:So far i only have full rips on my HDD. The real fun & games will be when i start going through the library with Handbrake as the quality will need to be bob on then.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You don't "need" to Handbrake your MKV rips as such, because if you use Plex as a server it will do what's called transcode (ie convert on the fly) to match the needs of the device you're watching on at the time). However if your server is on the low side processing wise (such as if you use a Raspberry Pi for example) then it can be a good idea to "prep" your video in advance so all the Pi has to do is direct play it - ie you do all the transcoding in advance.

On a more powerful device like a desktop computer this may not matter because they'll have the power to transcode on the fly quicker and happily (and so can serve more devices at once - if you live by yourself a Pi may suffice as normally you're not going to watch two films at once in two different rooms!)

With regards to MakeMKV - you can usually find somebody who's done your film previously and will tell you which playlist files you need to get it in the right order, however this is more unusual for Blu-Ray than DVD. Some are a pain, like this Blu-Ray one was for this poster:
    https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17111#p61686
  • thatthat Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Easiest solution is to play it in VLC, then you can look at the Video menu to see which video track it is playing which may narrow it down to find out the right order.
    VLC can record/capture too, so once you have got the correct rack as mention above, you could be good to go.
    https://www.epiphan.com/solutions/record-video-using-vlc-dvi2usb-3-0/
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals