Warranty - Petrol Mower - Ebay

Options
In August 2018 I bought a Hyundai Petrol Mower, it came with 3 years warranty, so last week I noticed a slight issue so I contacted Hyundai.

They said because I never registered the mower in 30 days after purchase I wasn't eligible for the extended warranty.

I checked the manual regarding the warranty and it says to register with hyundai to get the warranty, no mention of 30 days.

Where would I stand, Hyundai claim that I'm out of my year warranty and I am not entitled to the 3 year warranty.

However surely I should be treat as any other customer, manual makes no mention of the 30 day thing. Secondly surely the item has to be built for purpose, basically the oil is seeping out from the oil filler and the mower engine, maybe a seal issue.

Thanks in advance - this may be in the wrong section

Sorry if it is

Dave

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,112 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To qualify for extended warranties you need to usually register. Otherwise you have a standard 1 year warranty.

But... you can claim from the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act. Was it bought from an authorised dealer on eBay?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are going down the consumer rights route then you need to prove the item had an inherent fault at time of purchase.

As for the warranty, is it a case that you never registered or were late in registering?
  • GeordieDave
    Options
    If you are going down the consumer rights route then you need to prove the item had an inherent fault at time of purchase.

As for the warranty, is it a case that you never registered or were late in registering?

I never registered as I never realised it was an issue, I thought I'd dropped some oil on the base.

However if I had to claim I'd have registered.

I assumed with it saying 3 years warranty that it came with that.
  • GeordieDave
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    To qualify for extended warranties you need to usually register. Otherwise you have a standard 1 year warranty.

But... you can claim from the retailer under the Consumer Rights Act. Was it bought from an authorised dealer on eBay?

How would I tell if they are an authorised dealer?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How would I tell if they are an authorised dealer?

use google?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I never registered as I never realised it was an issue, I thought I'd dropped some oil on the base.

However if I had to claim I'd have registered.

I assumed with it saying 3 years warranty that it came with that.

If you never registered then the timescale for registering is irrelevant.

A warranty has whatever T&C the provider decides.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure