CCJ - likely to get set aside?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit File & Ratings
13 replies 1.3K views
2»

Replies

• The response was due on the 31st of July I opened it on the 8th of August... before the CCJ was issued but too late to stop it.
  • It’s your own negligence and disorganisation which has caused the issue. If you had a third party to blame (postal service, weather, etc) might help.
  • fatbellyfatbelly Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaadaj wrote: »
    Hello-

I received a money claim in the post but, as it arrive in an unmarked white envelope and was not expected, it was not opened until about a week after the deadline when I was clearing out junk mail. At which point I replied immediately.

The claim was for libel, which is not allowed in small claims court unless both parties agree and I was not expecting it as no correspondence was sent about resolving the potential money claim before hand.

I was notified that I had a CCJ a few days after I sent the defence and I filed a N244 within 24 hours to request a set aside. It has now been sent to district court for a hearing to be scheduled.

My concern is that this has already demolished my previously pristine credit and you only have 30 days to definitively clear it.

I do not owe the rather large sum money but am worried that, if the court does not set aside on the basis that I was late regardless of whether the claim is valid, I will have to live with the damage.

How strict is the court in upholding default judgements if you can show that you had a solid defence for the claim, were not notified by the claimant beforehand for resolution, but were delinquent in opening your post in a timely manner?

Thank you

You should be OK

You meet two of the three tests. Some reason why you missed the court claim letter and that's the third test.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides

FREE tennis coaching

Find your nearest session and pre-book your place online

MSE Deals