Need some advice please (Utility point)

Options
j4g3d
j4g3d Posts: 88 Forumite
edited 27 August 2019 at 10:57PM in Energy
So we joined up to their Just Up 19 Wk11 tariff, Which worked out at £70 per month. This calculation was based on a meter reading I had made 18 months prior to the date we took out dual energy with utility point and to that current days date. So it was based on 2 awful winters.

Everything Ok from April till August, submitted meter readings every month without fail. But we've just got a email saying our plan will increase by £25 based on the energy we're using. Strange to get this kind of email during the summer, especially since we've been away 2.5 weeks this month!

Logged in to my account and had a look at the bills. The last bill was estimated with a elec reading at 48060, 4 days later we gave an actual reading and this is also on the bill which was 48012. Now, my understanding is we're well within their estimated pricing and therefore we should remain paying the agreed amount. I believe its fixed for 17 months.

I understand pretty much all bills/companies in life, but energy companies confuse the living hell out of me. They make it so confusing that it throws me off. Our account is also showing as being in credit £133, how has this gathered up if we are using too much energy?

Heres some meter readings:
APRIL 5TH- ELEC 46907 GAS 19349 (FIRST METER READING)
MAY 3RD - ELEC 47281 GAS 19377 (28 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 374 GAS 26
JUNE 2ND- ELEC 47618 GAS 19402 (30 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 337 GAS 25
JULY 9TH - ELEC 48012 GAS 19428 (37 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 394 GAS 26
AUG 6TH - ELEC 48365 GAS 19449 (28 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 353 GAS 21
AUG 27TH- ELEC 48556 GAS 19454 (21 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 191 GAS 5

How should we proceed with this?

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just do the sums and check that the total bill between the earliest and latest actual meter readings is correct. The DDs aren't fixed, but the standing charges and cost per kWh are.

Don't fret too much about DDs, they're wonky, but it'll all come out in the wash. Some companies (e.g. E.On) offer Variable Direct Debits whereby you're billed for the exact usage every month. If Utility Point don't offer that option it may be worth switching to a company that does.
  • j4g3d
    edited 27 August 2019 at 10:58PM
    Options
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Just do the sums and check that the total bill between the earliest and latest actual meter readings is correct. The DDs aren't fixed, but the standing charges and cost per kWh are.

Don't fret too much about DDs, they're wonky, but it'll all come out in the wash. Some companies (e.g. E.On) offer Variable Direct Debits whereby you're billed for the exact usage every month. If Utility Point don't offer that option it may be worth switching to a company that does.

DO you know of any online calculators where I can input the meter reading from XX days ago and then a current meter reading and it'll then give me KWH used? i've updated the main post with actual readings and difference between last reading and new reading.
  • Gerry1
    edited 27 August 2019 at 11:48PM
    Options
    j4g3d wrote: »
    DO you know of any online calculators where I can input the meter reading from XX days ago and then a current meter reading and it'll then give me KWH used?
    https://www.businessenergy.com/business-gas/gas-bill-calculator/

Make sure you're using the correct flavour, i.e. (hundeds of) cubic feet or cubic metres.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You do realise that the gas readings are in either m3 or 100ft3 and have to be converted to kWhs?
  • Kitchen_Sink
    Options
    j4g3d wrote: »
    So we joined up to their Just Up 19 Wk11 tariff, Which worked out at £70 per month. This calculation was based on a meter reading I had made 18 months prior to the date we took out dual energy with utility point and to that current days date. So it was based on 2 awful winters.

Everything Ok from April till August, submitted meter readings every month without fail. But we've just got a email saying our plan will increase by £25 based on the energy we're using. Strange to get this kind of email during the summer, especially since we've been away 2.5 weeks this month!

Logged in to my account and had a look at the bills. The last bill was estimated with a elec reading at 48060, 4 days later we gave an actual reading and this is also on the bill which was 48012. Now, my understanding is we're well within their estimated pricing and therefore we should remain paying the agreed amount. I believe its fixed for 17 months.

I understand pretty much all bills/companies in life, but energy companies confuse the living hell out of me. They make it so confusing that it throws me off. Our account is also showing as being in credit £133, how has this gathered up if we are using too much energy?

Heres some meter readings:
    APRIL 5TH- ELEC 46907 GAS 19349 (FIRST METER READING)
    MAY 3RD - ELEC 47281 GAS 19377 (28 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 374 GAS 26
    JUNE 2ND- ELEC 47618 GAS 19402 (30 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 337 GAS 25
    JULY 9TH - ELEC 48012 GAS 19428 (37 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 394 GAS 26
    AUG 6TH - ELEC 48365 GAS 19449 (28 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 353 GAS 21
    AUG 27TH- ELEC 48556 GAS 19454 (21 DAYS) - USED DIFFERENCE - ELEC 191 GAS 5

How should we proceed with this?

If you think the request for an increased monthly payment is unjustified, then you need to contact your supplier.

There's an MSE article on this here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/lower-energy-direct-debits/
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 28 August 2019 at 9:35AM
    Options
    Simple Sums ( just use your PC and Excel)

Elec 48556 - 46907 = 1649 at say 15p/kwh = £250
    Gas 19454 - 19349 = 105 (m3) x 11.2 = 1176 at say 3p = £35

Standing charges at 20p / day per fuel = £57

All plus VAT at 5% = £360

This is Summer and your heating will be off.

Elec is on the high side of average but for the year perhaps £900 a yea

Gas is more difficult but 10000 kwh is average = £300

Add standing charges and VAT and your total bill may be £1300

Your DD ought to be about £110 a month

PS - Yes your account should be in credit at this time of year so there is a buffer as you enter into winter.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Gerry1
    Options
    st999 wrote: »
    You do realise that the gas readings are in either m3 or 100ft3 and have to be converted to kWhs?
    Yes, I do. That's exactly what the website does !

I even included the advice to make sure that the appropriate Metric or Imperial units are used (cubic metres or hundreds of cubic feet).

What is the point that you are trying to make? :huh:
  • j4g3d
    Options
    Thanks guys, helpful information.

Maths isn't my strong point, so that is why im struggling.

I have tried but unable to calculate what im actually using. Gas im not too worried about as it seems pretty low, we don't use a gas cooker either.

I just want to clarify with the supplier why its bumped up £25 when the agreed amount of £70 was agreed based on the figures I gave them, which were higher than what I am actually using. Thought i'd get a bit of ammunition ready before calling because they often spout a load of jargon which makes no sense to me.

They also have a £30 exit fee, is this valid even if the DD amount changes?
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Exit fee is £30+VAT, so £36.
  • Gerry1
    Options
    It seems very likely that your DD has been set too low so it will have to rise so that you keep up during the winter. Not much point in challenging that because you'll only complain all the more when you're in debt at the end of the winter and it'll have to rise even more.

You need to understand how DDs work. It's not all all you can eat tariff like the TV licence, so your usage has to be paid for sooner or later and it all comes out in the wash at some stage.

What you really must do is to find the reading from two years ago and see how many kWh you have used in the meantime. You can then work out your actual consumption (not estimated) and check that you're on the best tariff. Once again, forget DD amounts, think annual kWh and annual costs.

You can't escape the exit fee just because the DD changes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure