3rd party phone line over my property

I moved into my property 4 years ago , There is an existing 3rd party phone line going across my property directly above tree and bush row ie several bushes and several trees of different sizes , So far every year I trim any branches and top trees and bushes which get too close to the line but I am getting sick of doing this as I do not feel it is my responsibility , Could someone advice me as to who is responsible for this what I would call Maintenance and who would have to pay if the phone line got damaged by me not doing this work and letting the trees and bushes grow without trimming them , i read on another post that open reach will not trim hedges , trees etc until the damage has happened and once the damage has happened will repair line at there own cost and then trim at there own cost , your advice would be extremely welcome . Thanks Colin

Comments

• I don't think you can do anything if a phone wire just crosses your property without touching anything.

Years ago, when my neighbour wanted a phone line installing, BT asked me if they could attach his line to the corner of my house to get to his so as to avoid putting up a telegraph poll.

I agreed, just to be neighbourly. Maybe you could find out who the line belongs to first of all.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • The line comes of a pole in the corner of my garden and goes to a pole in my neighbours garden serving him his phone connection , my line come from the same pole in the corner under ground to my property serving me , I not worried about it being there just whether I am responsible for any damage my trees/bushes my cause if they grow up and damage the wire
  • You cannot be responsible for something you don’t own or have any control over.

Perhaps have a word with your neighbour, saying you are worried that trees and branches may interfere with his line, and could he have a word with BT Openreach

But be warned, an Openreach engineer told me when l pointed out my line was in the trees that they wouldn’t take action until the line came down!
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • That`s what I thought needed another set of eyes on it to see if you concur .

Thank you for your reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport