Vintage display cabinet

Options
PaulaA
PaulaA Posts: 26 Forumite
I have just bought a vintage display cabinet 1980/90’s and when I got home noticed it had lightning inside. The plugs/adapter attached are strange looking and tiny with three prongs. The writing on it says ST2. 2.5A 250v 0.75mm. Can I add a photo of it? Has anyone seen this before? Would you know if I can get an uk adapter for this?

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

yes try to stick a photie up, you'll need to upload it to tinypic, or whatever, then use the wee postcard icon to insert.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    PaulaA wrote: »
    I have just bought a vintage display cabinet 1980/90’s and when I got home noticed it had lightning inside. The plugs/adapter attached are strange looking and tiny with three prongs. The writing on it says ST2. 2.5A 250v 0.75mm. Can I add a photo of it? Has anyone seen this before? Would you know if I can get an uk adapter for this?

Stick a photo up, but you may not need an adapter, you could remove [cut off] old plug & fit a new 13A type, fitted with a 3 amp fuse
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PaulaA
    Options
    qNsLRXTc
  • PaulaA
    Options
    qNsLRXTc
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

here's the photie,

9-E7-A6-B2-A-2-B79-4598-A96-E-6-F3-AD7-BE4-F92.jpg
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,257 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That's the old style two pin plug.

Unlikely there is an earth wire, which is not a biggy as the cabinet is stationary and not presumably subject to moisture or handling

Check the wiring, it may be fabric covered rubber not PVC. I think this is a first stage before thinking about powering up

If you do not fell competent or happy about replacing plug either get someone who is, after checking wiring, or just get some battery powered hidden lighting
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

Paula, apart from the plug, what's the light fitting like, will you be able to get tube/bulbs?
  • Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    PaulaA wrote: »

That's not a UK plug.
    Cut it off and fit a standard UK 3 pin plug in it's place, protected by a 3A fuse.

If you don't know how to do that (it seems to not be taught in schools anymore :() then do get a skilled electrican to do it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure