Amazon Return Advice - Amazon stating incorrect item returned

Options
Afternoon everybody,
I'm after a little advice. I bought a camera from amazon last week. At nearly £700 its not a throwaway purchase. I had issues with it and started an amazon return. I packed it up and took it to my nearest hermes parcelshop as i do with any amazon returns with labelling etc already applied.

9 days later and amazon have emailed me stating they received some clothes which they will now discard and that i need to return the faulty item for a refund. Thats obviously impossible since i already sent it back using their own choice of courier.

I figured it was a mistake so i contacted them only to be informed by the customer adviser and her manager that they couldn't do anything. My requests for a proper investigation were shut down without hessitation. Surely they have ways to see what was unboxed. They must have cctv at the very least.

I have now contacted the customerservicesdirector@amazon.co.uk in the hope they will be able to, and want to do something to investigate this. Assuming an honest mistake by an amazon employee the camera will likely be sat somewhere after been mistaken for somebody elses return.

So my question is. What else can i do if anything?

Any help or advice is welcome. I'm at a loss where to go next

Michala

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Keep on with the Amazon complaint procedure.

Can your credit card company help you put pressure on with a section 75 or a chargeback type approach?
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • ndf9876
    ndf9876 Posts: 404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Presumably you got a receipt when you took it to the Parcelshop....as far as I'd be concerned that would be all you'd need; you can't be held responsible for what happens to the item whilst in transit or at the Amazon premises, after all.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Photos of the camera in the box ??
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Photos of the camera in the box ??
    Taken with what? :rotfl:
  • Michala_78
    Options
    Thanks for everybodies input. I did actually take pictures of the item in box (with my phone) before i taped it up but they weren't interested. I could theoretically swapped the item after i guess.

I have just received a response from the amazon customer relations. They have apparently confirmed that the package conatained clothing but have "As an exception to our usual policies" issued a full refund of the nearly £700.

To me this just makes me ask more questions about their processes and i'd be very wary in the future should i return anything. Surely they shouldnt destroy items that are returned incorrectly if this was the case and give the buyer chance to get the item back.

Eitherway this is now resolved so i can at least buy another.

Thanks
  • Matty36
    Matty36 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First thing i thought when i read the OP was that someone at hermes opened it, swapped labels, kept camera. I always use Royal Mail for returns. Seeing as amazon always supply a prepaid label.

Your receipt should have had item weight on it which would have differed to the clothing amazon received so you would have won your case regardless.

You got your money back now, so all good
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Either that or they had the wrong reference number on your return label, and somewhere somebody is unable to get a refund on their clothes because their package contained a camera, not the clothes.

Anyway, nice you got the correct result !
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure