How best to find out high energy culprit

Options
1235»

Comments

• RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    We have all cool white in our house which we like.
  • twang72
    twang72 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    There certainly is. Just look on the Screwfix website for 2D LED.

A 32 inch LCD TV (which I'm sure is what you have said you have somewhere) depending on it's age will use somewhere between 94-150 watts.

A modern 32 inch LED TV will use somewhere between 15-20 watts.

Thanks much appreciated now all I have to do is replace the woman's with LED energy efficient models.
  • twang72
    Options
    Checking around the web the Cool white or daylight range leds are a bit tricky to find, seems many of the led bulbs are 2400k warm white light ones but did spot a few here:

https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/products/kosnic-8w-led-bc-b22-gls-cool-white-kdim08gls-b22-n40

https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/products/integral-18w-bc-b22-gls-daylight-ilglsb22nf051

https://www.ledbulbs.co.uk/products/megaman-9-5w-bc-b22-cool-white-143370
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Most tend to be 2700k which is noticeably whiter than 2400k. It might tell you on the bulbs you already have what yours are.

Dimmable led bulbs might need modern dimmer switches as there can be problems combining them with older switches.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 August 2019 at 9:45PM
    Options
    twang72 wrote: »
    oh they hated the led ones I got from the pound store said it was not as bright as the normal regularly bulbs.

I think It was due to the frosting effect, but ive spotted Cool white version here:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-bc-gls-led-light-bulb-806lm-9w-5-pack/3118t

May just have to give these a go and if the women in the house complain they can have no light bulb :)
    LOL your answer is in the phrase "pound store"!

I've used lots of Philips GLS LED bulbs in the past and to be honest you'd be hard pushed to tell they're LED. However, I always go for a colour temperature of 2700K, as that matches what you're used to from incandescent bulbs. If you go for Cool White, you're going to feel like you're in a dental surgery and your family will have good reason to dislike them.

Also avoid bulbs with a low CRI (Colour Rendering Index).
  • twang72
    Options
    Talldave wrote: »
    LOL your answer is in the phrase "pound store"!

I've used lots of Philips GLS LED bulbs in the past and to be honest you'd be hard pushed to tell they're LED. However, I always go for a colour temperature of 2700K, as that matches what you're used to from incandescent bulbs. If you go for Cool White, you're going to feel like you're in a dental surgery and your family will have good reason to dislike them.

Also avoid bulbs with a low CRI (Colour Rendering Index).

Oddly I was just googling around and the reviews for Poundland LED bulbs are bad and good, but many are older out of date reviews and it appears Poundland have revised and improved the led bulbs few times.

I saw the £1 ones with 6watt yesterday, think it was 2700k yesterday, passed on it due to price. Some did say around the net there is no way it can pass CE or safety laws at that low price but others said there expensive philips ones died while the poundstore ones were still fine !

Gonna check screwfix and toolstation and other local places might as well for guarantee reasons would be easier to exchange, wilko range seem ok but not clear on details sadly they don't give color rating or equivalent bulb rating.

Oddly the woman in the family prefer the clinical bright dentist look, but I think its due to make up and must look pretty syndrome. Men can endure the calmer warm light since were cavemen :)
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gonna check screwfix and toolstation and other local places might as well for guarantee reasons would be easier to exchange, wilko range seem ok but not clear on details sadly they don't give color rating or equivalent bulb rating.
    The Wilko 7W 806lm frosted filamentary ones are great, good tungsten quality light. However, they're beaten by Aldi who have 'Status' 6W 806lm frosted at £2.49. Neither has problems with radio interference which is something to watch out for.

You'll never get anything remotely close to the rated life except possibly in a table lamp. Cap upwards reduces the life by about 75%, and an enclosed fitting does the same again. However, even if they fail quite early the energy savings mean they're still cheaper than 60W tungsten. Always keep the receipts !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Oddly I was just googling around and the reviews for Poundland LED bulbs are bad and good, but many are older out of date reviews and it appears Poundland have revised and improved the led bulbs few times.

I saw the £1 ones with 6watt yesterday, think it was 2700k yesterday, passed on it due to price. Some did say around the net there is no way it can pass CE or safety laws at that low price
    Poundland are not a "rubbish" store chain but a multi billion pound turnover company. They have massive buying power and the quality of the electrical items is well in excess of many big name retailers. Also their liability insurance company makes sure that they don't sell products that are not safe.
    Watch the break down videos on Youtube especially BigClive to see that their products are 100% safe and UK/EU regulation compliant. You can pay more for an LED bulb from other UK named retailers but the quality will be no better.
  • twang72
    Options
    I did check wilko and aldi site but maybe they ditched the 6w range since those searches are not popping up.

closest matches I could spot were these :

https://www.aldi.co.uk/led-light-bulb-9w-bc-%28b22d%29/p/094067121491100

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-1-pack-bayonet-b22bc-led-7w-806-lumens-clear-classic-filament-light-bulb/p/0456843

Look like warm light, hunt continues for day light or cool light, the poundstore one is doing well led 6w one so its a good option also, and yes will keep hold of the receipts !
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My 2400k bulb was from Wilko and looks very similar. Most large Wilko stores have a display with bulbs that light as you pass to show the different bulb colours. Why go to that expense then fail to state the colour on their website?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure