conservatives planning to raise retirement age to 75

Options

Comments

• bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    never been happier than when up to my armpits in oil and seagull guts :eek:

Oil yes, seagull guts:eek:, might pass on that one. My happiest times at work usually involved ending the day covered in grease, oil, general warehouse muck.

I think there often is a lot more satisfaction in a job that is physically demanding, even though from the outside it may not look very enticing.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,868 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And when they are cooked just under rare the aroma is wonderful t9405.gif
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I have said this before on this forum. I don't think young people feel they will ever reach retirement age. As state pension age gets closer to average age of death you can see why. There's no point saving for a retirement you'll never get.

I also disagree with the idea of perpetually raising the SPA to eventually above the average mortality age for certain sectors of society. Given that the government will increase SP for deferrals I believe it much fairer to allow people to take their SP earlier though at a reduced amount.. Or as in this situation of someones qualifying age for receiving SP increasing, allow the person to take their SP at a reduced rate instead. At least that way they will see some of their SP before 'beaming up'.

However I disagree that young people will not see a retirement income. Yes the SP may have changed out of all proportion for today's 18 year old, if it exists at all 50+ years in the future however they can save towards their own pensions. I have drummed into my three daughters that saving for their own personal pension is as important as staying healthy. Even packing shelves at Sainsburys / Co-op will earn you you between 7.5% - 10% employer contributions. If you stick to a plan of achieving a decent personal pension pot at SP - 10 years and build a SAS ISA to allow the possibility of becoming financially independent 5 years prior to your PP, then today's teenagers can be just as comfortable as today's 50 year old's! Time is on your side even if your savings are small. I started my first PP at the same time as acquiring my first mortgage, 23, and I managed both. It can be done.
  • pensionpawn
    Options
    Dymphna60 wrote: »
    Yes everybody get a well paid job with a good pension. Retire at 50 a millionaire.
    This is entirely possible for everybody. It’s your own pathetic lazy fault if you don’t .
    Yeah yeah yeah .

Everybody polishing their own halos .
    Maybe some forgetting that some good luck came their way ?
    Nobody helped along by stable supportive parents?
    Nobody bought a house that has increased in value 10 times ?
    Inherited some money from parents house that increased in value 50 times ?
    No ?
    Every single one of you beat the odds by nothing but their own hard work from poor back grounds with no help or support from anyone. ?

More or less, yes. Grew up on a South Wales council estate, went to local comprehensive, graduated from university with a degree in electronic engineering. Worked through my degree course, bought my first house with my wife at 23 and was then trapped in negative equity. Waited to our 30's for kids as we couldn't afford them. Yes we had supportive parents (they told us to study hard and bought me a computer in the 1980's) and yes they helped us out of the negative equity trap when I was offered a excellent new job in a different part of the country whilst my wife was pregnant with our first child.

My point is that regardless of anyone's starting point in life opportunity exists all around and it is down to the individual to seize it.

My father, who had to leave school to work in the steal works in the 1930's when his father died, and was then invited by the King to tour the world from 1940 - 1945 used to tell me:

Life doesn't owe you a living.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There is zero chance of this government increasing the pension age, but you believe what you want.
    Very kind of you, but you're misrepresenting what I was saying.

I was challenging your black-and-white statement that "there is zero chance in the age of populism state pension age will be increased" - nobody said anything about whether or not there'd be changes under this specific government, or are you now claiming that 'the age of populism' started with Boris Johnson becoming PM a few weeks ago, and ceases when he's deposed, one way or another?

Likewise, I certainly didn't contend that it will happen, or even that it's likely, just that it can't be definitively ruled out for the foreseeable future, which is obviously what 'zero chance' means.

Worth bearing in mind too that the lengthy lag time needed to introduce SPA changes means that there are usually multiple governments between announcement and implementation, which is always going to soften the blow....
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dymphna60 wrote: »
    Yes everybody get a well paid job with a good pension. Retire at 50 a millionaire.
    This is entirely possible for everybody. It’s your own pathetic lazy fault if you don’t .
    Yeah yeah yeah .

Everybody polishing their own halos .
    Maybe some forgetting that some good luck came their way ? Nope, worked for it by applying for internal promotions at most firms or moving to another firm if it was refused/not available.
    Nobody helped along by stable supportive parents? A little, whilst not rich we used to get the odd £500 gift (which usualy got spent on a bill or maybe added to holiday fund)
    Nobody bought a house that has increased in value 10 times ? Never, house prices in my area have gone up by <75% in the last 20 years (bought for £130k in 2001, now worth about £200k).
    Inherited some money from parents house that increased in value 50 times ? Nope, never - mum still alive and house value has only doubled in price since 2003 (about £150k).
    No ?
    Every single one of you beat the odds by nothing but their own hard work from poor back grounds with no help or support from anyone. ? I left school at 16 with just a few O levels and joined the army as a technician, left 10 years later for an engineering job, got my first project management role 9 years after that and then 20 years later finished up on £50k+ as a senior PM after 2 external moves and 3 internal promotions having done all my external training and project management courses.

At one point I was one of only 2 people in the whole consultancy firm of 100+ people who didn't have a degree (or even A levels).

Negative equity on 2 house purchases, made redundant 3 times (2 firms going bust)

Think about moving to a job and/or lower house prices area to make the most of wages. Excluding army moves I've lived & moved for work 8 times in 40 years (7 in the first 20 years) from places as varied as USA, Torquay and North Yorkshire.

Don't cry about what's not been handed to you, work to better yourself. If you aren't capable of that or you get a lot of bad breaks, at least you tried and just make the best of what life has handed you........
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    SonOf wrote: »
    No they are not.

Either you have posted this to try and provide misinformation for political gain or you have completely misread what it is about.
    Or someone who believes everything they read on tw*tter
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    And in the Guardian there is a report about the UK elderly suffering the worst poverty rate in Europe.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/aug/18/elderly-poverty-risen-fivefold-since-80s-pensions
    Using the usual disingenuous definition of poverty as relative to a percentage of the country's median income - rather than what most people consider to be poverty, ie being unable to afford the basics of life.

I'd like to send anyone who uses such definitions to some of the places I've been so they can see what actual poverty looks like.
  • msallen
    msallen Posts: 1,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    Or someone who believes everything they read on tw*tter

Or someone who WANTS to believe this because it fits their childish view that everything should be given to them on a plate for no effort on their part, and anyone who has worked hard to improve themselves in an enemy of the people.
  • lvader
    lvader Posts: 2,579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So not the conservatives and not planning but other than that...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure