26 or 30 kW boiler?

Options

Comments

• Ellie77
    Ellie77 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I guess then it's a case of paying a bit extra to heat the water and fill the bath quicker. I am however bearing in mind that 26 kW is more than I have currently and the technology has obviously come on in leaps and bounds (my boiler is c.20 years old and has not been serviced in years :o) so I'm hopefully going to notice a significant improvement either way.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,558 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It should be matched to your cold water flow rate. If your rate is adequate for a 30kw choose that one.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just to add to your thought process, personally I would look at a different boiler make, you can get a better boiler for the same money
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, I'd go with the bigger boiler. My only concern is will the gas pipe be adequate?
  • sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I would do a flow rate test (fill a bucket for 30 secs-1 min and see how many liters per min is delivered (test at at least two locations as the tap may restrict the flow)
    then size the boiler to match.

I went for a 32Kw as i too was thinking bigger was better, but i could have saved myself £3-400 as a 24kw would have heated the water, as the 32kw one doesn't even get to 50% output!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just to add to your thought process, personally I would look at a different boiler make, you can get a better boiler for the same money

What do you have in mind?

I've been very impressed with WB after sales service. Having said that, I've heard lots of good things about Intergas.

Interestingly, Which scores WB very highly and Intergas only in the middle.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ellie77 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. I guess then it's a case of paying a bit extra to heat the water and fill the bath quicker. I am however bearing in mind that 26 kW is more than I have currently and the technology has obviously come on in leaps and bounds (my boiler is c.20 years old and has not been serviced in years :o) so I'm hopefully going to notice a significant improvement either way.

Ref:Noticing difference.

I replaced a 20 year old 24cdi around 2 years ago - spent around £250 on parts on the 24cdi in 20 years an never had it serviced so it served us well.
    I went for a WB Greenstar 30i and am happy with the results. I am planning a shower off the hot water system replacing an electric one so that was our main consideration.

Part of the install was a power flush of the system and I dont know if its the flush or the new boiler but I immediately could tell the house seemed warmer (placebo effect or real, I dont know!)
    I can feel heat 'radiating' from the radiators where I definitely could not before - again, not sure if due to better boiler or due to the flush.

Hope this helps.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Ref:Noticing difference.

I replaced a 20 year old 24cdi around 2 years ago - spent around £250 on parts on the 24cdi in 20 years an never had it serviced so it served us well.
    I went for a WB Greenstar 30i and am happy with the results. I am planning a shower off the hot water system replacing an electric one so that was our main consideration.

Part of the install was a power flush of the system and I dont know if its the flush or the new boiler but I immediately could tell the house seemed warmer (placebo effect or real, I dont know!)
    I can feel heat 'radiating' from the radiators where I definitely could not before - again, not sure if due to better boiler or due to the flush.

Hope this helps.

Unless your place is simply massive, 24kW is plenty of heat. So, any improvement is down to the power flush. Or, just possibly, due to draining down and refilling carefully to avoid some air locks.

FWIW, for only a few £££s extra, I'd go for the bigger boiler, as it should give a better shower.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    Intergas is head & shoulders above WB, which isn't always right

• southcoastrgi
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Unless your place is simply massive, 24kW is plenty of heat.

24kw is the smallest combi you can buy, i personally wouldn't fit one as the flow rate isn't really good enough

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure