Options
2»

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    MarcTJTD wrote: »
    That's a smart builder; if you pay Howdens direct, your contract of sale is with them and any warranty or product-related query is between you and Howdens.

If your fitter had paid on your behalf, he's technically Howdens customer and you're not so if they were feeling particularly bureaucratic they could reject any warranty claim you made on the basis that you didn't buy the kitchen from them.

B&Q used to do that sometimes when something went discontinued and they had a problem they couldn't easily resolve.

Stuff doesn't go wrong with Howdens kitchens so it's not a major concern, but the contract is with whoever's name is on the invoice.

That's just the builder letting the tax tail wag the dog.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Senseicads
    Senseicads Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We went with Wren kitchens but paid a builder to fit it. The Fitting costs with wren were a bit silly. But the quality of the units themselves were far superior to both wickes and ikea which we had also looked at. If you are getting appliances they will also price match right the way through the process so you pay the lowest price that the appliance is all the way up till you finalise the contract. It knocked something like £1000 for us off the price of our kitchen!!
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    We have just finished having our Howdens kitchen fitted very happy with it, went through trader but paid howdens direct, total kitchen £3,500 inc oven and hob very very pleased with the quality and design
    Photo https://photos.app.goo.gl/AJVeQcgX29jSQCHa9
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    cybervic wrote: »
    We eventually went with IKEA kitchen because their internal storage is bigger than other standard kitchen, also the cheapest too with 25 years warranty.

How can it be bigger?
    Height & depth are pretty much standardised, & width will depend on the wall space available.
  • premkit
    premkit Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hight and depth on Ikea units are around 20% bigger volume. 800mm high and 600 deep with no service gap behind.
  • Jarviscocker
    Options
    Ah yeah the depth for DIY kitchens is 56cm V Ikea’s 60.

I didn’t find Ikea’s draws to be sturdy but a few people are to rate them :/ hopefully DIY kitchens are better. Wren I didn’t think was spectacular.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    osc89er wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that having the customer pay howdens directly actually works the way that fitter thinks.

I think that because the contract is between howdens and the fitter then even if the customer pays howdens direct that is dodgy if they are ever audited.

That said, it's not really relevant here.

I don't think there's anything dodgy in it. The person I spoke to at Howdens said that many one man band kitchen fitters work that way.
  • MarcTJTD
    MarcTJTD Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Ah yeah the depth for DIY kitchens is 56cm V Ikea’s 60.

I didn’t find Ikea’s draws to be sturdy but a few people are to rate them :/ hopefully DIY kitchens are better. Wren I didn’t think was spectacular.

IKEA's also doing 800mm (height) cabinets now instead of a more traditional 720mm (or 704mm for some suppliers).

Makes for a verrry small plinth and no service void which might cause problems with pipework (visibility at the back of the cabinet and access underneath it), but does mean that you get a considerably bigger (~16%-18%) cabinet internal in comparison to other kitchen brands on the market.

Depends on what you value most in your kitchen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure