urgent help re debt collection

Options

Comments

• tgarratt10
    Options
    Hi guys I too have had Arc Europe send me and email regarding a £2,511 PayPal debt. I blindly used PayPal thinking if there was no money I’m my bank account they surely wouldn’t accept transactions but low and behold a day later (after some careless spending on my behalf) I saw I was -£2,511 on my balance.

I now have arc Europe debt collectors emailing me...however, I have sent 6 emails back and had no response the past 48 hours...what shall I do?
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    edited 5 February 2020 at 6:07AM
    Options
    I blindly used PayPal thinking if there was no money I’m my bank account they surely wouldn’t accept transactions

So a day later did you return the goods and get refunds or did you keep the goods intending not to pay the sums back? Under the presumed Distance Selling Regulations (if the goods were bought off the internet) you have 14 days to return them.

What was your intent then and what is your intent now? If you could explain what outcome you are seeking, then others will be able to indicate options.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • tgarratt10
    Options
    I didn’t use the money to buy goods. I was using it to send people money I owed and also used it for gambling.

But as I say, whenever I have used PayPal in the past if you have £0 in your bank and you try to make a payment it declines. So I’m bemused as to how it can get to this
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,772 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2020 at 9:15AM
    Options
    So you spent money and PayPal now (not unreasonably) want it back.

If you knew you didn't have 2K, then did it not cross your mind at the time to ask if payments were going through? Why rely on PayPal to decline transactions if you are well aware the bank balance is zero?

So just to be clear, PayPal now have their money, you are overdrawn as a result, and you want to know what you can do about it?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • tgarratt10
    Options
    I’m not trying to claim innocence or ask for sympathy by the way, I know I was beyond careless and I should have known I didn’t have the money in my account...but like I say, I didn’t think to check as I didn’t think PayPal transactions would go through if I had nothing in my bank.

No they don’t have any money from me, my account balance says -2,511 and I’ve had an email from arc Europe regarding The debt.

I’ve emailed at Europe back 6 times and had no response.

So I’ve posted in here to see my options and best course of action
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,895 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tgarratt10 wrote: »

I’ve emailed at Europe back 6 times and had no response.

Well that`s rather difficult to say.

Do you have other debts ?

If so, you may want to consider a solution to tackle all of your debt, on the other hand, if its just this one, then write to them and propose a repayment schedule you can afford, and be a little more careful in the future.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • EssexHebridean
    Options

First step is very likely to take steps to deal with your gambling.

If you want general advice re your debts then put together your SOA (Statement of Affairs) - the link to the calculator we use is below, in my signature, then "format for MSE" at the end, and copy/paste into a new thread on here with some background and we can take a look for you.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • tgarratt10
    Options
    I have no other debts just this one so I think I’ll keep trying to email them, hopefully get a response and try to sort a repayment plan. Thanks for your advice
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,895 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have no other debts just this one so I think I’ll keep trying to email them, hopefully get a response and try to sort a repayment plan. Thanks for your advice

Send a letter, they rarely respond to email.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jupiterist
    Options
    I'm sorry if this is the wrong way to post questions. I'm new to this.
    I am seeking advice. paypal sent me debt collector letter in my name and not in the business name. What should i do? it was ebay's fault by ruling in the fraudulent buyer's favour anyway. Items were delivered and signed for by customer.
    What do i do from now? what if i dissolve the company with company house, will it stop paypal debt collector from chasing me? This is a paypal business account but the debt letter was not in company's name and it was in my name.
    Can this result in default or ccj in my name?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure