PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone been forbidden from putting spare room on Airbnb when asking the mortgage lender?

I've posted a similar question but didn't get many relevant responses to what I really wanted to ask. Has anyone ever had their mortgage lender deny stopped the from putting a spare bed up on Airbnb or are they quite relaxed so long you tell them first?

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It depends entirely on the specific lender.

A minority of mainstream lenders allow borrowers on residential mortgages to do short-lets for a limited period. For instance Metro bank residential mortgages allow borrowers to rent out properties through Airbnb, and similar sites, for up to 90 days a year without prior approval.

Which lender are we talking about here?
    I've posted a similar question but didn't get many relevant responses to what I really wanted to ask. Has anyone ever had their mortgage lender deny stopped the from putting a spare bed up on Airbnb or are they quite relaxed so long you tell them first?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Like I said on your other thread, whether you even need to ask depends on what your mortgage conditions say - have you checked?
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,460
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I tried to look up from my lender the same thing, but it just refers to letting out the whole place, there really is little detail on letting a room for the night on sites such as air bnb. I will be doing as Davidmcn says and checking the specific T&C's for my mortgage as the general info from the mortgage lender does not cover it.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Check for any language around "lodgers".
    Niv wrote: »
    I tried to look up from my lender the same thing, but it just refers to letting out the whole place, there really is little detail on letting a room for the night on sites such as air bnb. I will be doing as Davidmcn says and checking the specific T&C's for my mortgage as the general info from the mortgage lender does not cover it.
  • edgex
    edgex Posts: 4,177
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Will your insurance cover it?
  • Honeylife
    Honeylife Posts: 249
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    muhandis wrote: »
    Check for any language around "lodgers".

And/Or "Boarders and Hosting" (you provide a meal or two for Boarders if you are a Host)

It is the Insurance that is the prime issue for taking in Lodgers not the mortgage provider.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964

2023: 1p challenge £667.95/ £669.00 completed
    2024: 1p challenge 667.95
    2024: 52 Challenge 1378.
    2024: Cashback
    2024: Sparechange
    2024: Declutter one room
  • Got residential interest only mortgage from Santander to buy house on tourist route. Within a month started B and B renting all four rooms and sleeping out back in van. Soon went on booking.com and air bnb. No worries from Santander even after they were informed. They sent us a consent to let for free !!and have left us alone !! Don’t think they want the hassle . Seems like if keep up payments they couldn’t care less. Still on Airbnb and booking.com. Saving up to pay it off
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure