How much tax will I pay?

Options
Hello!

I hope this is the right place - I have probably very obvious questions about tax that I would really appreciate some help with!

I'll be starting my first proper job as a teacher in September, earning pre tax around £30,000 a year. I'll get my first pay check at the end of September. I know that the tax year ends in April, so I won't earn a full year's wages by then, and I know I get a personal allowance. My question is, will I earn 2500 a month until I've reached my personal allowance, and then will I start to be taxed? And then when the tax year starts again, will I go back to earning 2500 a month until I reach the personal allowance again? Or is it calculated so that I'll just receive around 2000 a month from the start, as that's roughly the post tax amount of 24,000 divided by 12? Or any other variations thereof?

I'm really sorry if this is a stupid question - I've done my best to try to look it up online but been unsuccessful!

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,053 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you had any taxable income before starting this job?
    If so do you have a P45?
    If so what are the details?
  • megxmas
    Options
    Not in this tax year - I have a P45 from a part time job I had at uni that I finished last July, but I never earnt enough from that to pay tax.
  • laticsforlife
    laticsforlife Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    April to September = 6m
    6/12ths of the annual tax allowance is £6,250.

So in September, so long as you complete forms to say you've not earned anything in the year to date, you shouldn't pay any tax on £2,500, nor in October, it'll only happen when the pro-rata allowance is less than your cumulative pay to date (December by my reckoning).
    I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove a thing! ;)
    Quidco and Topcashback, £4,569
    Shopandscan, £2,840
    Tesco Double The Difference, £2,700
    Thomson EU261/04 Claim, £1,700
    British Airways EU261/04 Claim, EUR1200
  • chrisbur
    edited 31 July 2019 at 6:28PM
    Options
    megxmas wrote: »
    Not in this tax year - I have a P45 from a part time job I had at uni that I finished last July, but I never earnt enough from that to pay tax.

Best to forget about that P45
    When you start you need to complete a new starter checklist and select the option that this is your first employment this tax year.
    This will allow your employer to use the emergency tax code on a cumulative basis.
    The emergency tax code is currently 1250L which will give you just over £12500 tax allowance for the year.
    When your first payday will be,or if it will be for a full month, I cannot tell but as an example let's say you are paid first in month 6 which would give you a tax allowance of £6250 aprox. Obviously you will be earning under that so no tax is deducted.
    As each month passes your allowance goes up about £1041 and your earnings by £2500 so earnings will eventually catch up and then anything over will be taxed at 20%
    Of course things do not always go as they should and you may be taxed non-cumulative to start with or sometimes it has been known for a new starter to be taxed at 20% of all they earn these are corrected later by HMRC issuing a tax code to the employer.
    Also HMRC may issue a bit different tax code after a month or two depending on your individual circumstances.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You'll earn £17,500 from September to the end of March.
    Personal allowance is £12,500.
    So you'll pay tax on £5000, which is £1000.
    That £1000 will be split over the 7 months you are working, so you'll pay £143 tax each month.

National Insurance works differently - it's worked out monthly so you pay that as though you are earning £3000 a year. So you'll pay £214 a month NI.
    So in total you'll pay £357 and receive £2143.

Next tax year, assuming tax/NI rates and allowances stay the same and your wages stay the same you'll take home £1995.

In both of these cases, though, I presume your take-home will be less than this due to pension contributions.
  • chrisbur
    Options
    You'll earn £17,500 from September to the end of March.
    Personal allowance is £12,500.
    So you'll pay tax on £5000, which is £1000.
    That £1000 will be split over the 7 months you are working, so you'll pay £143 tax each month.

PAYE does not work like this. With the details given the OP should get a cumulative tax code which will mean no tax to start with and then when their earnings pass their tax allowance tax will start to be deducted.
    As I said things do not always work as they should so OP may be over-taxed and then get this corrected later.
    Either way the tax will not be split evenly over 7 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure